RUNNING POWERED SPEAKERS FROM AN IMAC

Hello all:
What am I missing here? How would I go about using my powered speakers, Kantos i pair 5's with my iMac? They have s video and rca jacks etc. but the iMac has only a headphone jack and usb ports. Is there a way to do this? I no longer need these speakers in a home office and would love to repurpose them in the computer room.
Thanks for any suggestions!
audiowoman
Do you have a source other than the iMac, an mp3 player or laptop, with a headphone jack you can plug the cable into? That would tell you whether the static is coming from the iMac or the cable/speakers.

If the static is still there with a different source you might move that setup to a different location to see if there's interference from something else in your computer room.

The object is to isolate the variables one at a time until you discover the problem.
Thanks Sfar: When used with my iPad mini, the static is pretty much gone. When I take the cable out of the iMac I can really hear the static. When I plug it back into the iMac, the static is back especially when scrolling through different internet sites. Always a low static but crackly sounding when moving anything with the wireless mouse.

Is this something that would be resolved by using something like a usb dac (Audioquest v.2 Dragonfly) as it would be plugged via usb port? I read where this device can really cut down on noise?
Thanks again for your help.
Cathy
not sure if the outboard dac will fix your static issue but it might be worth a try and it will definitely improve the sound quality. if you have a high end dealer by you see if they'll let you try the dragonfly for a day or two, if not, see if they have a return policy, if not, buy one from audio advisor and return it if you don't like it :)

Im not savvy to computer audio... Is there a way to turn the volume up to the maximum level on the computer side and then use the speakers volume control to adjust the volume?
I did read on the Apple forum where making sure that the powered speakers are plugged into a different outlet than the iMac can be helpful. I tried this but it really didn't make any difference. I also read about using an RCA ground loop isolator, not sure exactly what that is. I do plan to try the audioquest dac as I would appreciate even better sound and hopefully that will take care of my static issues as well.
I did my homework before I purchased the original DragonFly. When the version 1.2 come out I picked that up also. I'm not saying that other Dac's aren't good, but I really enjoy the music from the DragonFly 1.2 (as small and puny as it is).

The DragonFly comes with directions that will walk you through how to custom set up your IMac for the best sound.

Music from my Audio Engine 5+ speakers and Sub literally sound as good and as dynamic as music comming from an expensive Audiophile system.

I spent a bit extra on interconnects and power cables also.