Dumb Question

Recently I have been playing and buying more SACD.s than CD because I think they sound better. I am using an Oppo 205 to play the SACD’s and would like to up-grade from the 205, which was only a $1300.00 player when I bought it. It seems like Esoteric keeps coming up as one of the better SACD players, however at pricing which starts at $12,000 for their lower line player. Will their players be an up-grade over the Oppo and which model do you recommend. I am big into streaming as well,  but think the SACD is superb. Thanks for any feedback. Sam

128x128samgar2

I see you named your system but put no info under it. To respond helpfully we will need to know your system and venue. That would be really helpful. But I’ll try and say a few things.

A SACD or CD player is a physical transport, streamer and DAC in one box. 

Will the Esoteric sound better than the OPPO? Yes absolutely, and if the rest of your system is comparable spectacularly beter. The Esoteric are great sounding.

But let’s look at what you are buying with it… this is a guess… a $2K transport, $2K streamer and a $8K DAC. Ok, something like that. Well, your streaming system also uses a DAC and a streamer… so you are spending most of your money on redundant equipment.

I would invest in a better DAC and streamer to bring your streaming up to what the SACD player can do. Then there is no reason to collect discs at all and music acquisition drops to almost nothing.

I am fortunate to have a system where my analog and digital ends (all formates) have the same sound quality. I just listen to streaming… why play a disk when it sounds no better? 

@ghdprentice +1! Spending many thousands for an SACD player is a waste of money. The streamer/DAC combination is way more cost effective. Myself, I just ordered a Samsung DVD-HD841 from eBay. Plays SACD's and DVD A's plus of course CD's. Used and a bargain at $16 including tax and shipping! 

I already have a Sony CD/SACD changer and a Sony Blue Ray Universal player. Optical disk playback has been a mature technology for at least twenty years. Nothing new under the sun! I doubt that in a blind test an Oppo and a Samsung can be told apart!

Sam,

Many other forums sing the praises of Esoteric SACD players. For under $1500 new Marantz, Denon, and Yamaha SACD players get a lots of positive feedback.

I will repeat advice that I have offered elsewhere.  I use an Oppo 105 and I also prefer SACDs.  I use a DAC with HDMI inputs (Bryston DAC3, there are others) and output the DSD layer of the SACDs into the DAC.  The DAC runs about 4K now.