Siemens EL 34

I came across Siemens EL 34 tubes for sale at RAM tubes.

My understanding is that these are 1970's tubes manufactured at the old Telefunkin factory.

I have heard conflicting reports of the sonic character of this era Telefunkin tube.  On one extreme warm and large sound stage.  On the other end, thin and a bit bright.

Has anyone heard that era Siemens/ Telefunkin EL 34?

mdrone

NOS Mullard EL34's are supposed to be the ultimate, but they are very difficult to find and very expensive.  As an aside, Mullard EL34 re-issues where the worst tubes I ever purchased... clear as mud, soft... just awful sounding.

Yes, I have a set of Amperex/Mullard EL34.  They are very nice indeed.

If you are interested in finding some, you should contact Early at HiFiTown; he often has nearly NOS tubes including EL 34.  He is an encyclopedia of vintage tube knowledge !

His email [email protected].

Only thing to keep in mind; he sometimes takes  a little while to fill the order.

Thanks for the lead... I've been doing this a long time and I had not previously heard of HiFiTown.

Do you consider your Amperex/Mullard EL34’s to be head and shoulders superior sounding to your other EL34’s and 6L6’s?

So I have two quads of Mullards; one is amperex and the other true Mullards.

My only point of comparison was the Groove Tube EL 34 . the Mullards are much richer sounding.  I remember when I first used the Amperex Mullards, my son commented that it sounded like the musicians were in the room with us.

My 6L6 quads are NOS GE and RCA.  I actually like the GE better.

Both are better than the stock Sovtek the amp came with.

I like the 6L6 better than EL 34 in my amp ( Leben 600). The bass is much tighter with the 6L6 and the sound stage a bit larger.

I also have 5881 RCA/ Tungsol.

They are wonderful.

Lastly I am embarrassed to admit I have two sets of Russian NOS 6n3cE which are very musical in the Leben cs600.

Clearly this is an illness; the search for the "perfect" tube. I have more tube life than biological life left.  I calculate that I should have over 40 years of tube-life ( assuming a conservative 5000 hours per quad ).  That should last me into my early 100's.  Hopefully my hearing will last that long as well.

Hope this helps

Mike