Siemens EL 34

I came across Siemens EL 34 tubes for sale at RAM tubes.

My understanding is that these are 1970's tubes manufactured at the old Telefunkin factory.

I have heard conflicting reports of the sonic character of this era Telefunkin tube.  On one extreme warm and large sound stage.  On the other end, thin and a bit bright.

Has anyone heard that era Siemens/ Telefunkin EL 34?

mdrone

Try checking with fellow audiogoners pdreher and clio09.  clio09 is now RAM Labs and a great guy very knowlegable.

I used two quads in my Music Reference RM9 MK2 for about two years. I’ve since sold the amp, but held onto a quad for possible use in future tube amps. I consider them to be on the warm side of neutral... not thin, nor extremely warm. Bass is tight, but not as prodigious as Gold Lion KT88’s. I like them a lot... and they are dependable.   Good tubes for sure!

I'm not sure what you are goals are... but other considerations based upon my experience using Music Reference RM9 MK2 as the host amp:

• RAM Labs Chinese EL34's were very enjoyable, especially for the bargain price.  Very lush, warm and detailed... but mine didn't hold up as well as Siemens and Gold Lions.  However, if you don't mind replacing them more regularly (given the low price), they really did sound excellent in my experience
  • Gold Lion KT88's (assuming your amp accepts them) sounded great in my Music Reference RM9 MK2.  Excellent bass, well balanced, detailed, with a somewhat darker sound.  However, I preferred Shuguang Penta KT88's (no longer made) in the VAC Phil 200 and McIntosh MC 275 MKV.
  • Gold Lion KT77's are typically "drop in" compatible with EL34's were on the lean side of neutral... a bit more sizzle on top than all of the other tubes referenced.  Think clean sounding, not tubey.

My new amps (only 2 days old and still breaking in) are Quicksilver Mid Mono's.  At the recommendation of QS owner, Mike Sanders, I bought them with NOS Tesla EL34's which are full bodied with surprisingly strong bass for an EL34 tube with a darker sound signature.  Really still early to judge these tubes and the amps, as I only have about 15 hours on them and they are still breaking in.

Ultimately, system matching and synergy with your chosen amp will play a big role as to what you prefer.