Don't sell your tube amps

Although this was an article in a guitar Magazine, I thought it might interest those who own stereo tube equipment:

https://www.premierguitar.com/gear/amps/dont-sell-your-tube-amps

128x128deadhead1000

Today I swapped out my "tube like" Pass XA-25 for my Dennis Had SEP (pentode) amp and man...it's just nice to hear the subtle differences. I'll keep these amps forever.

Fortunately my amp uses driver tubes that are not too popular and easy to obtain.  I have about 15 different NOS pairs on deck.   A dozen or so NOS 5r4gy  Rectifiers,  and a back up pair of WE 300b.  

I have 3 sets of tubes for my Quicksilvers so I should be set for a while. 

I also have no plans to sell my 300b or Mid Monos.     

Tube amplifier are on borrowed time due to a different threat. Its now possible to build solid state amps that are just as smooth in the mids and highs with no glare and the same sense of musical involvement.

It seems as though I've heard this statement before.... 😉

I am a Tube Amp' user for more than 30 years.

During this time I have been demonstrated quite a selection of differing Tube Amp designs and SS Amp designs. Until approx' 10 years ago I will have stuck with my being a firm believer in the Tube Amp as the only Amp to deliver on my audio needs.

Over the past 10 years this has changed, I have encountered SS Amp's that have seriously impressed and I have made these known to others. Some have even adopted models to use in conjunction with their passion for tube equipment.

I fell out of being a loyal devotee of SS Phon's and have adopted Tube Designs, more recently I have been introduced to SS Phon's that I believe are extremely attractive and worthwhile considering.

My Tube DAC has got my full attention and other long-term digital users who have heard it in use are thoroughly impressed. Some of these are now going through the process of acquiring DAC's utilising Valves in place of other used designs.

Valves are here for quite some time, but they do not any longer need to thought of a sole route to a very attractive presentation that is the anti-thesis of certain SS Designs.