Modding the PS Audio Directstream DAC MK1 and MK2

I would like to continue discussing all the mods we have created for these two DAC's as it seems PS Audio is no longer allowing discussions about them on their forum.

For reference here is a link to the closed discussion.

https://forum.psaudio.com/t/modding-the-directstream-dac-mki/2680

128x128richardselectronics

Speaking of heat sink heat, I had to replace the transformer in a Mk1 this past week. But the original is a custom unit rated 8v secondaries, 2 x 25VA and not available. I chose an off the shelf 6V rated out 2 x 25VA unit and tg it's working fine, with less heat across the linear regs too of course. It's actually delivering about 7.4V AC V out in mine. The original toroid has a band shield, and there was room in there to wrap a band shield around the new one. I went with this one: Triad- VPT12_4170

TK

And may I ask, do we have any schematic info on the Mk2? Output section in particular? Thanks, TK

No schematics on the MK2.

Good to know you found a good replacement power transformer.

Thanks for the info.

I'm curious what properties nickel has that gives it an advantage over iron transformers? I still can't believe how much better the PS Audio DSD MKI sounds after replacing the off the shelf transformers with nickel transformers and upgrading the caps. 

Much lower distortion. The nickel is just part of the equation in making a great transparent audio transformer.  We design these specifically for the MK1 or the MK2.  They are not interchangeable.