the big one: how do you choose speakers? By what features, data?

I am curious how the experts choose speakers when upgrading? What are the priorities, what would make you stretch your budget?

Based on e.g....

• brand/company’s reputation
  • price
  • sensitivity
  • crossover frequency
  • compatibility with existing amp, etc.?

I don’t have buyer’s remorse for my last pair but I sure made some stupid choices until I got there, that I could have avoided if I had known about this forum sooner.

grislybutter

Of course, it is the sound that matters the most.  But, one can only hear a small fraction of what is on the market.  I think that the best strategy is to find a way to go to an audio show so that you can hear a wide range of types of speakers and models.  One really should hear high efficiency speakers with low-powered amps, open baffle speakers, dipole planar magnetic speakers, satellite/sub woofer systems, omni-directional speakers, etc. to get a big picture of the kind of sound that appeals to you, as well as see specific models.  

A very important consideration is where you plan to locate your speakers because some models work well against the wall or in the corners and some require lots of room around the speaker, and some are not as picky as others about exacting location.  Any location restrictions should be communicated to the person who is showing you speakers.  Don't be defensive about the gear you have.  It is critical for someone selling you speakers to know what you have in order to make the right recommendation.  A local dealer in my area frequently does demonstrations to show customers planning on buying speakers that they are better off buying a different amplifier rather than speakers. 

I have found that there is hardly ANY correlation between speaker specifications and what they sound like.  The most important specification are physical dimensions (will they fit comfortably in the room), price (can I afford it), and maybe the efficiency and nominal impedance (will it work with my low-powered amps?).  Everything else is virtually meaningless. 

As for reviews, they are only a tiny bit useful and only if I have some idea of what the review likes (there are no such thing as dislikes).  I find negative inferences more helpful than what the review actually says--if someone who raved about Golden Ear speakers or Zu speakers raves about a brand I am  not familiar with, I am less inclined to be interested in that speaker.

@grislybutter

@knotscott @rpeluso so that means you need to demo it at home or at the dealer? Do you narrow down your list based on something(s) for what you would demo?

Wherever you can find them to get a first listen....dealer, shows, audio clubs, friends, etc. I always try to listen with music I consider well recorded, and that I’m familiar with. Speakers are not only very personal and subjective, but also room dependent, so it’s best if you can try them in your unique room on your system if possible.

I’ve never done it, but there’d have to be something pretty compelling to order speakers without hearing them, and there would definitely have to a be a good return policy.

@knotscott I think during covid ordering with a good return policy picked up a lot. For a lot people in remote areas, it may be the best option. 

@grislybutter wrote:

I am curious how the experts choose speakers when upgrading? What are the priorities, what would make you stretch your budget?

Based on e.g....

• brand/company’s reputation
  • price
  • sensitivity
  • crossover frequency
  • compatibility with existing amp, etc.?

Hardly speaking as an "expert," but of the above options only sensitivity has some bearing in my considerations. I don’t have the financial means to go "all out," nor would I want to and I don’t believe it’s necessary either. Using one’s ears, an open mind and some common sense there are true bargains to be had in audio equipment, certainly found 2nd hand, and not least looking in segments of gear not typically associated with "hifi."

I place little value in finding that very particular speaker that makes it all come together; to me it’s about the physics of things, horn profiles and their size, a range of known compression drivers, midbass and (sub-)bass horns, their size/principle and fitting drivers. Getting those parameters right can be made across a range of options and is more or less about the pure physics and acoustics of things and, again, size, rather than any brand or über price range.

What really makes it come together is the implementation of these "ingredients" in the specific listening space and with the chosen gear, and going by an active approach here makes this endeavor all the more meaningful and configurable. Having a pair of pre-configured speakers, which all passive (but not necessarily all active) speakers are to my mind defeats the purpose, and this is where "the one and only" speaker is sought for that matches a given acoustic space and its size, not to mention individual taste. Actively and being able to set filter values by yourself this all changes, and even very large horn-loaded speakers can be made to sum and sound excellently at the listening position in small to moderately sized rooms.

I don’t get hung up on brands, price and segment any longer, and over time have come to loath the notion of a secret/elusive/esoteric "sauce" that some manufacturers love to flaunt to make themselves more desirable as a brand. It’s about physics, acoustics, design and implementation - preferably actively configured - and there are different as well as affordable ways to get there.