the big one: how do you choose speakers? By what features, data?

I am curious how the experts choose speakers when upgrading? What are the priorities, what would make you stretch your budget?

Based on e.g....

• brand/company’s reputation
  • price
  • sensitivity
  • crossover frequency
  • compatibility with existing amp, etc.?

I don’t have buyer’s remorse for my last pair but I sure made some stupid choices until I got there, that I could have avoided if I had known about this forum sooner.

grislybutter

Probably none you list, at least for me.  It's only based on the outcome of listening, and using music I am familiar with that I play at home.  Of course price is always a factor.

@knotscott @rpeluso so that means you need to demo it at home or at the dealer? Do you narrow down your list based on something(s) for what you would demo?

Sound only and obviously with your current equipment ss or tube will play a role

Sound quality… then price… to determine which in the series I can affford.

After over twenty five years owning planar… electrostatic, ribbon and Heil based speakers I heard Sonus Faber. They possess a very distinct natural sound that distinguished them from all the other speakers I have heard. All the speakers in most lines have a similar sound with greater fidelity and precision as one moves to higher priced versions. I am on my third set… the first two based on how much I can afford, the last based on the appropriate size for my listening area. It has been a tremendous benefit they also happen to be really beautiful after in incredibly ugly speakers I previously owned.

@ghdprentice

thanks!

re: appropriate size for my listening area - is there a measurement that helps with that? Size of speaker? Power handling?

incredibly ugly speakers

:) breath of fresh air, I thought I was alone in the Universe thinking that some speakers are ugly