Requesting info on Audio Kinesis ZEPHRIN Speakers

Fellow A'goners,

I am contemplating purchasing these speakers designed by Duke LeJeune.

I have read several favorable reviews and been in contact with Duke. He is a very sincere and gracious person for sure.

I wanted to see if I could get feedback from any A'goners out there who might have these speakers and would be willing to share their experiences with me.

Also I was wondering if any owners of these speakers might be open to allowing me the privilege of hearing them in their system. I live in western Michigan near Muskegon and would be willing to drive several hours in any direction to do so.

Thanks so much!
128x128scifi
Hi Scifi,
Located in the Chicago area, I'm certainly your nearest AK dealer, and I have the Zephrin 46s on display here which you are most welcome to audition. Tomorrow (Saturday) I'm pretty booked up, but almost any other time is good.

The pair here have a custom paint finish people seem to like a lot.
I have not heard the Zephrin, but I have the larger Dream Maker + separate LCS effect speakers, and they sound marvellous. The most enjoyable sound we've had in our house, by a good margin (and I've owned Dynaudio flagship speakers). Also, Duke/AK has been a pleasure to deal with.
If I might connect some dots here, on how the Zephrins are related to the Dream Makers...

It all started with me being a SoundLab owner (who became a dealer). There was something the SoundLabs did right that I hadn't experienced from other dipoles. I've owned nine other dipole speakers (not counting some DIY designs) that didn't sound as much like live music as the SoundLabs, so there was something they did that went beyond just being a dipole. I think it was their extremely well-controlled and consistent radiation pattern and in particular what that well-behaved backwave was contributing... namely, a well-energized, spectrally-correct, and (when set up properly) fairly late-arriving reverberant field.

I decided to try to do that with a dynamic speaker, and told Roger West that I was attempting to imitate his radiation pattern behavior as a sincere form of flattery. I told him that my goal was to build the second-best speakers, and it still is. Anyway the Dream Makers were the result of that effort, and they are bipolars with well-controlled radiation patterns both front and back.

Unfortunately the Dream Makers have the same placement requirements as dipoles, so they are quite demanding of real estate.

Enter inventor Jim Romeyn. After having heard the Dream Makers, he began using a bipolar setup with two small monitors per channel. At some point he tried laying the second monitor in each pair on the floor and firing it up at the ceiling, to get a long-path bounce before that extra reverberant energy arrived at the listening position. He made sure to "shield" the output of the upfiring monitors so that the "sidelobe" didn't arrive too early.

One advantage of his configuration is, the path-length-induced time delay on the upfiring array of drivers isn't a function of distance from the wall, so placement flexibility is greatly improved.

Well once I heard Jim's setup, I knew he'd evolved the bipolar concept to the next level. He called it "Late Ceiling Splash", for obvious reasons. I built a dedicated LCS system with two separate speakers per channel, one front-firing and the other up-firing. The upfiring LCS modules were optimized for their location relative to room boundaries, and have aggressive directional control built in so that a separate "shield" isn't needed.

The Zephrins are a one-box incarnation of this concept, which in turn is derived from the principles that drove the original Dream Makers. So that's the connection.

Duke
dealer/manufacturer/definitely got a dog in the fight
I heard the Zephrins at the RMAF running on equipment I know very well.

They are easy to drive and really spacious. They also play impressive bass (Duke has always led the pack in getting good bass out of his designs). He is also a master of crossover design- his speakers are always seamless and downright musical.

Recommended!!
We used the Zephrin's in our exhibit room at the Newport Show last spring with both ours and Atma-Sphere amps. The set up worked quite well. Robert E. Greene stopped by our room twice to hear the speakers and was pretty giddy over the concept and how they sounded. If you can drive to the Chicago are for an audition it would be worth your time.

Disclaimer: I am a previously happy customer (Jazz Modules) and now a dealer for AudioKinesis, same for Atma-Sphere, and manufacturer of Electra-Fidelity Amplification products.