Modding the PS Audio Directstream DAC MK1 and MK2

I would like to continue discussing all the mods we have created for these two DAC's as it seems PS Audio is no longer allowing discussions about them on their forum.

For reference here is a link to the closed discussion.

https://forum.psaudio.com/t/modding-the-directstream-dac-mki/2680

128x128richardselectronics

Been letting my upgraded DAC continue to break in when not listening via the USB stick on the PST. Listening this morning and the sound has continued to improve. Soundstage has expanded and image specificity has become more pinpoint and focused. Overall the music has become even more satisfying and intoxicating to listen to, leaving me grinning ear to ear. Thank you so much Jeff for making these upgrades available. Once everything settles in I'll be ordering the shorting plugs. 

Glad you are enjoying your MK1.  The USB shorting plugs makes a big improvement If you are not using that port.

Jeff

Wow Jeff these power boards are elegantly designed. Thats more plug and play than I would have ever expected. 

I know this is a hard question to answer, but how "good" of an external PSU is needed to make a sonic improvement? Would a mid-level Chinese eBay linear PSU be better than what's in the unit already? Or is a top-flight linear needed to make a difference? (Obviously a better supply is a better choice but I am wondering how high/low the baseline internal PS is)