What does Nominal Impedance mean?

What does Nominal Impedance mean?

I’m trying to decide on some new speakers (Clarisys Minute). They are rated at 86-88 sensitivity and a nominal impedance of 3.5 flat. Although graphs show it about 6 ohms from 20hz-500hz and at 2Khz and above about 3 ohms.

My present speakers, Focal Sopra 2 are rated as 91 sensitivity and 8-ohm nominal impedance, but minimum is 3 ohms.

So, I am presently using Bob Carver 350 amps (rated as 350 Amps/channel 8 ohm and 400 watts /channel 4 ohm) which are tube mono blocks. and I like to crank it up at times!

Can someone explain about Nominal Impedance and if my amp(s) will have a problem driving the Clarisys Minute speakers?

ozzy

128x128ozzy

@ozzy Wrote:

So, does that mean they will play louder or does the amp need to work harder? ozzy

Both! Also the lower the impedance the amp operates in, the higher the distortion produced by the amp.

Mike

@ozzy 

What does Nominal Impedance mean?

I’m trying to decide on some new speakers (Clarisys Minute). They are rated at 86-88 sensitivity and a nominal impedance of 3.5 flat. Although graphs show it about 6 ohms from 20hz-500hz and at 2Khz and above about 3 ohms.

Turns out you don't need to know what Nominal Impedance is in this case as your speaker has essentially flat response of 3.5 to 4.2 ohm (based on youtube measurement of it).  Normal speakers have wildly varying impedance with frequency so no one number ever represents its impedance.  Your speaker is then is an easy load for most amplifiers.

Better yet, I have tested your Carver 350 amplifier with 4 ohm load.  Here is its frequency response:

The amplifier has a peaking response with this type of load so may sound a bit bright.

You do have a ton of power available:

And even more for short periods:

So you can crank it up good, assuming the copious amount of distortion is not bothersome to you.  In that regard, you are going to hear more of that distortion than your current, more sensitive speakers.

If you like, I can measure your new speakers.  Start a conversation with me and we can take it from there.  Good luck.

amir_asr, Thank you for that info. I wonder though if most tube type amps would also show a large amount of distortion? BTW, I like the sound of the Carver amps. Previously I owned Atmasphere, Pass, Krell and a few others. ozzy