Modding the PS Audio Directstream DAC MK1 and MK2

I would like to continue discussing all the mods we have created for these two DAC's as it seems PS Audio is no longer allowing discussions about them on their forum.

For reference here is a link to the closed discussion.

https://forum.psaudio.com/t/modding-the-directstream-dac-mki/2680

128x128richardselectronics

We just finished a bunch of Vocm and transformer mods.  Hopping to make some happy listeners. 😀

(moving my review over from the other forum)

So… I am in the fortunate position to be able to compare a bone-stock MK1 vs a jkrichards modded MK1 (Transformers + VOCM). I purchased the latter from jkrichards, which he had already modified.

For the tests, both DACs were left on for 2 hours for some warm up. Both powered from a PS Audio P3 generator. RCA outputs to 2 inputs on the preamp. Both fed from an Innuos Zen3 mini via coax (which I had to swap between the DACs for testing). Before getting into listening, I used a dB meter and pink noise to mark on the preamp the volume settings as the modded DAC has a bit more gain and I didn’t want that interfering my impressions. I also decided that using the pre was better then attenuating the output on the DAC; the Preamp we make here uses a TVC so it is very consistent across the volume range.

Usually comparing components, the difference in character immediately makes certain things stand out and may throw off more objective listening and critique. It’s not the case here because the character, tonal balance is almost the same. The “house sound” is pretty similar… so if you like the PS Audio DAC sonic signature, you won’t be thrown in a different direction here.

So… the sound. It is just simply, consistently, better. The separation in the mix of instruments and voices is improved. Definitely a bit more prat. Sightly more airy without being turned up. As others have mentioned, the bass is definitely improved in terms of control and tonality (I personally find real tone in bass difficult to achieve and this mod delivers the goods) The whole sound is more refined, more controlled, without getting dry or astringent… nor did it get lush and colored in the process.

Definitely a worthy upgrade and really a no-brainer if you like your Directstream but want more of that same goodness. It’s a Directstream living its best life… as the kids say.

fuses, very expensive fuses!!!!  

couldn't resist... please carry on... :)