What does Nominal Impedance mean?

What does Nominal Impedance mean?

I’m trying to decide on some new speakers (Clarisys Minute). They are rated at 86-88 sensitivity and a nominal impedance of 3.5 flat. Although graphs show it about 6 ohms from 20hz-500hz and at 2Khz and above about 3 ohms.

My present speakers, Focal Sopra 2 are rated as 91 sensitivity and 8-ohm nominal impedance, but minimum is 3 ohms.

So, I am presently using Bob Carver 350 amps (rated as 350 Amps/channel 8 ohm and 400 watts /channel 4 ohm) which are tube mono blocks. and I like to crank it up at times!

Can someone explain about Nominal Impedance and if my amp(s) will have a problem driving the Clarisys Minute speakers?

ozzy

128x128ozzy
Post removed 

I take it to mean the impedance where most of it lies across the frequency range. Case in point: my speakers are 6 ohm nominal, with a minimum of 4.4 ohm @175Hz. Because of that, they state 4 ohm on the speaker.

Not all speaker makers do that. Some just use the average while others state the lowest point. That may add to the confusion.

All the best,
Nonoise

The Carver should have no problem with the new loudspeakers.  The above 6 ohm impedance in the bass frequencies is good and the 3 ohm readings are at frequencies that demand less current.  You might have to turn the volume setting up to match previous volume levels.  There could be rolled off high frequencies if the Carver has a high output impedance in the 3 ohm range.

With all due respect to people who chimed in, I do miss "almarg" on such topics.