Is it possible for a high end manufacturer to overprice their goods?

Having just read the interesting and hyperbole laden review by RH of the new Rockport Orion speakers in the latest issue of The Absolute Sound, one thing struck me..

is it possible in the high end for a manufacturer to overprice their product ( doesn’t have to be a speaker, but this example comes to mind)? I ask this, as the Orion is priced at $133k! Yes,a price that would probably make 99% of hobbyists squirm. Yet, the speaker now joins a number of competitors that are in the $100k realm. 
To that, this particular speaker stands just 50.3” tall and is just 14.3” wide…with one 13” woofer, one 7” midrange and a 1.25” beryllium dome ( which these days is nothing special at all…and could potentially lead to the nasties of beryllium bite).

The question is…given this speakers design and parts, which may or may not be SOTA, is it possible that this is just another overpriced product that will not sell, or is it like others, correctly priced for its target market? Thoughts…

128x128daveyf

@steakster While you are correct in alerting folks to the many costs incurred by manufacturers, i also question where the process is when it comes to a speaker ( maybe any speaker/ high end product at this price point) that comes in at a consumer price that equates to a very impressive new car ( or insert any number of other far more sophisticated and complex products here). While the argument that economies of scale come into place, this argument can surely only go so far?

OTOH, all of this is relative to one’s disposable income, and given that, I do question why this speaker ( or others of its ilk) are priced at just north of $130K...and not multiples of this price? Do these manufacturer’s ( or their dealer network) actually know that this price is in fact attainable--while multiples of this price is not?? If so, how??

Post removed 

@mihorn ,

The only Hi-end audio company is the Wavetouch audio. Everything else are Hi-Fi. They all are simply unlistenable to me. I watched few 2023 Axpona videos and my ears are in serious pain. My ears are much better after I listen WTPC video for few minutes. Alex/Wavetouch”

ohh my that made me laugh after a rough night !! 😃😃😃😃😃

I think it's about exclusivity and avoiding comparison.  If you price something high enough hardly anyone will ever hear it or be able to compare it to other products.  Bose is famous for requiring their products to be displayed in separate areas where they can't be compared to anything.  If you price a product high enough no dealer will have a demo so it doesn't need to perform because it can't be compared.  It needs to look pretty and have a sound that some will prefer.