Pontus II + Node 2i - VS - Gold Note DS-10 Plus

Hello fellow audiophiles,

I want to add a preamp between my Pontus + Node2i and my Atma Sphere Class-D mono blocks. 

Then the thought recently occurred to me that I could consolidate and purchase a Preamp/DAC/Streamer combo. I've heard some favorable reviews of the Gold Note DS-10 Plus but I'd like to hear impressions from those of you that have heard it in your rig. 

My gear is arrayed atop a 1.5" slab of blue granite on the floor (on anti-vibration feet) and I love the clean simple minimalist look of it. So does my wife. I'm usually a separates guy but I'm running out of room. I'm loathe to vertical with a rack. So the idea of consolidating where I can is now a high priority, without taking a backseat to sonics. 

Thanks in advance for your helpful advice (hopefully based on your actual experience with the Gold Note).   

128x12869zoso69

@m669326 - So I got the Gold Note DS-10 running last night along with the new Buchardt s400 MKii speakers and Luxman 590axii with Revelation Labs Interconnect and LessLoss speaker cables. 

As with anything, one has to consider system synergy, but I'm blown away by the sound the above system is producing. The Gold Note DS-10 DAC is a stone cold winner - lush and musical. 

I actually have the Merason DAC1 in my living room system, which I've enjoyed for a year! However, I'm finding, at least at first blush, that I might prefer the Gold Note DS-10. It's less detailed than the Merason, but feels equally musical, but with more warmth. Maybe it's these Buchardt speakers that have such a warm presentation? 

Do you still have the Buchardt speakers? 

I see why the s400 mkii speakers have gotten such great reviews. They just make anything they play sound good. They are just incredibly warm and expansive on the bass frequencies.  

I am considering consolidating my DAC and streamer to create some needed space.  Currently using Bricasti M3 and M5 which are nice, but frankly not as nice as my Lector CD player.  

Does the Gold Note DAC have tonal density?  I read a review which described it as airy and a bit thin or light.  Wonder if that might not be system dependent.

@mpomerantz 

When I demoed the GN gear with my Atma Sphere Class D moon blocks I found the Gold Note combo (DAC, streamer, pre + external power supply) to sound similar to my Pontus. I hair warmer which was not to my taste. I would not say the GN gear was dry sounding at all. Plenty of body and weight. But less open and layered than my Pontus. These differences were subtle and took some time to tease apart. I didn’t tweak any of the filter settings though.