Apple Music vs Tidal for SQ

I compared Tidal to Apple music for the first time using speakers, not headphones. Apple seems bright and a bit less smooth the tidal on my system. I never tried the apple codec before but so far not a fan, it seems to have treble that is a bit fatiguing. What is your experience?

kota1

I wouldn’t make a blanket statement that Qobuz is better than Tidal. Here’s why…

• Some albums available on Tidal, missing on Qobuz. 
  • Redbook versions of some albums sound better on Tidal

Both Tidal and Qobuz, however, sound better than Apple Music with almost anything I listen to even in the car or in the gym with headphones. 

Interesting takes. I have found Tidal to sound very muddy/flat with levels all over the place, requiring constant adjustments to the volume - not a good listening experience. Especially in regards to streaming an infinite playlist for background music.

not to mention Tidal’s search and app are an abomination. Horrible UX. Not intuitive. Doesn’t allow for queuing while listening in a good way. And their curation is not my taste. Not a fan of their playlists.

tried Qobuz for a minute but it is missing so much music.

Apple Music’s UX and search is by far and away the best. Their curated playlists are fantastic and the algorithm is the right balance of stuff from my library and matching music I haven’t heard. SQ is excellent over Airplay to bluesound node 2i.

not as good as a CD, mind you.

one note. You must go into settings on the phone and turn on LOSSLESS. It is off by default on Apple Music.

I use Qobuz for home streaming, but recently started an Apple Music trial. I don’t believe that Aurender’s Conductor will stream Apple Music. I’ve been using Apple in the car, while working out and walking the dog. I don’t drive much, but other uses amount to two to three hours per day, which is more than I listen to my home system. Much of my listening on Apple consists of more pop music and lately, lots of Korean music. I have an interest in a new artist, BiBi, who has many styles from rap to ballads and everything between. What Apple seems to be good at is tagging other music to the end of my Korean playlist, which exposes me to other artists that I haven’t heard. I have another playlist with Billie Eilish and Olivia Rodrigo. Again, I get a number of alternative artist. I must admit that I don’t listen to much Ella Fitzgerald on Apple, because I don’t want to relax while working out. Apple claims that they have high resolution streaming and it does sound good on Apple EarPods. BTW.. The watch with cell service is a great way to listen and leave the phone at home. I have been a Garmin Fenix owner for years, but for walking, running, indoor treadmill and elliptical, the new Apple Watch Ultra is amazing and the GPS is great in high resolution mode. In the gym I use a Polar 10 chest heart rate monitor which connects to the watch and the gym equipment and allows me to train to my heart rate. This is a great way to workout for those of us that were born when analog computers were cutting edge.

I have been using Tidal for 2 years and enjoy it immensely. Not only is sound quality excellent (especially MQA, and now they have added Atmos), but also their enormous inventory I am seeking. As well, their utility and ease both on computer and iPhone does not require a degree in Computer Science, and if you have a query, they respond within 24 hours! Neal