Worth fixing?

I have a Rotel 951 CD player paired with an Arcam alpha7 amp and Paradigm speakers. One speaker cuts in and out occasionally. (Which doesn’t happen with the turntable). Swapped it with an Onkyo CD player and problem solved so it’s clearly the CD player issue.  But it has some sentimental value. Ideas about what the problem might be and is it fixable by me.  Or should I junk it. 

qialah

Could be just dirty connections. Try cleaning RCAs & IEC. Happened to me for my LFD phono stage. It was my IEC, I just kept plugging & unplugging my power cord & it was fine & has been fine since. Mike Morrow (cables) advised me of this for an issue of noise from my LFD which helped before I had the other issue. My LFD was bad, it was just all distortion.

I had 2 old Rotel amps not working and posted them very cheap. They both sold quickly and the money went towards other equipment. Can’t hurt to post it as working /needing a repair and get a few bucks for it ….

Also agree that ripping cds and getting the up scaled quality is the way to go regarding cd’s in general

Best of luck to you 

@qialah 

I like @vinylvin 's suggestion to try cleaning the contacts.  A zero cost approach to the problem is a good starting point.

Only YOU know the sentimental value of this unit.  I spend one day a week with my tech of 25 years doing exactly that -- keeping old stereo gear with an emotional attachment to the owner(s) from ending up in the dumpster.  I refer to it as my "involuntary not-for-profit organization" in that we bring in about $1 for each $3 we spend taking care of business.  We make sure the customer is informed of "current market value" of a "questionable" piece and let them decide if they want to make the investment.  It's pretty rewarding to see grown up's brought to tears when a deceased family member's, or close friend's unit comes back to life.  Or, push the power button on piece that went to college with them and survived multiple divorces, light up and play music once again.

IF the cleaning does not solve the problem, I'd suggest contacting someone in your area that does repairs, and see what their opinion (including a rough price range for the repair) and see if your attachment to the unit exceeds this price.  $300 spent on a piece with a "current market value" of $59 (in working order) is $241 spent for sentimental reasons.  I can think of worse ways to spend money.