Good old days

I remember when I was happy that everything I played on my stereo sounded basically the same,  without a care for soundstagjng and the like. This occurs to me now as I sit in my car enjoying the hell out of everything played.  All I’m thinking about is the music.  Maybe it’s time for me to pack in my high end aspirations.

128x128rvpiano

tonywinga,

It isn’t that I don’t like the sound of my system, the problem is I like it too much.

Of the speakers I have heard that were simple, engaging, inviting, and non-analytical, nothing has really beat Fritz's Carbon 7 SE Mk. II 

It is not his most expensive speaker, but there was something it did that just pushed past audiophile thinking, straight into the music. I auditioned it for 6 months and then sent it back. Now, many speakers later, I realize that there was something he did with that speaker that is kind of magical. Just a thought.

Seems to me that the problem is not your system; especially if, as you say, you “like it too much”.  By starting to change out gear in order to find the new “right” gear you will just be feeding the monster.  If you like your current system so much it is unlikely that you will be happy with equipment that sounds less good.  The issue is your mindset.  A lot of my listening is outside the “sweet spot”.  Try, as I do, listening off axis.  Put your comfy listening chair somewhere in the room where you are not forced to look at all those audio toys, the sight of which triggers the audiophile itch.  Get out of electronic land.  See what happens.  

Tylermunns,

You are so right. …the beauty, wonder, and splendor of music” is the thing.  The love of Hifi  pales in comparison. 

My bet is that you don't love your system

I remember doing the same thing—always listening for the good bits and always aware of the bad bits in the reproduction chain. 

Eventually, over many tweaks, things clicked. Now I have no issues listening and everything sounds wonderful. Something is amiss and you need to locate it.