Denafrips FPGA Firmware Update

In case there are any Denafrips DAC owners out there that are not aware of the FPGA Firmware Update, here's the link:

I did the update on my Ares II earlier today and am currently enjoying the results.  It is definitely an improvement without question.

mceljo

The results of the FPGA update were positive, and if directions are followed fairly easy to do.  After sending in the required photo of the chip and filling out the form I received my download link from Vinshine Audio within 24 hours; their support and communication has been amazing.  The following are a few noteworthy points that I experienced:

- The flashing process took longer than the "up to 5 minutes" estimate that was mentioned in the instructions.  It actually took 7 minutes and the last couple of minutes gave me a couple of gray hairs!

- I experienced a small amount of micro-skipping when streaming via toslink from a Wiim Pro.  This problem has since disappeared but will keep an ear to this to see if the problem returns.  Vinshine did mention that the FPGA may need to burn in so maybe this was part of the burn in process.  I did not experience any micro-skipping with my Jolida CD player via digital coaxial. 

- The upgrade without question improved my listening experience; larger soundstage, better instrument separation, improved bass definition, and micro details became clearer.  I read on other forums that some people experienced brightness.  It is my opinion that the upper end became smoother in my system.  The sound improvement gave me a taste of audio nirvana and now makes me wonder what I may be missing from the upper echelon dacs from Denafrips.

Just wanted to add my experience to this thread. I purchased the Ares II in Septemeber of 2022. I had a very good experience running my streamer through it, but when I tried to run my cd player I noticed a fair amount of chirping/skipping. Just a few days ago I performed the firmware update and so far all skipping is gone and the DAC has never sounded better. The folk at Vinshine were enormously helpful throughout the entire process. 

I have the Enyo and did the firmware update and WOW what a difference for the better!

After the update was done I played some music and was extremely disappointed. The next morning I woke up and turned on the amp and music started playing right away. I had forgotten to turn off the streamer the night before, and the Enyo I usually just leave it on. 

Anyways, I turned up the volume and was flabbergasted. I listened for a short time and all I could think of was wow things were sounding extremely good. I guess there is a short burn in period. 

Well, its been a few days now and I am pleased. Prior to the update I preferred listening with the OS mode engaged and with fast roll off. Today however I like the DAC in NOS mode. The soundstage is immersive, robust, has better clarity and depth. Imaging is cleaner, and defined. Still retaining its warm mid sound that I like about this DAC. I’m hearing more of the bass with better articulation and more punch in the mid bass. 

I still like OS mode with fast roll off and look forward to trying it with slow roll off.

This update is fantastic. I find my head bopping to the music constantly now. I don’t know how they did this but kudos to all those involved in this project.

Unfortunately, the latest update worked flawlessly for 6-days. The pops are back and additionally, my music cuts in and out. Disappointing to read that owners of the Pontus 2 also have the same issues as my Ares 2.

Great sounding product but when you end up listening for pops etc. instead of the music, it defeats the purpose. Music is supposed to be enjoyable and instead it's turned into a stressor because of these flaws. Very disappointed with all of this.

Regarding the pops, if anyone is using software to feed your dac, try reducig the output by 2 dB. Tbis sounds a lot kike dac clipping issues with other DACSif your pops vanish the problem is clear.