Distinctly Digital Forever?

Something always made me believe that a decent tube preamp could "mellow" or "naturalize" the sound of digital sources. But this doesn't seem to be so. OTOH, maybe there are DACS out there that not only convert to analog, but actually make digital source components sound like analog sources? So, just to further my understanding: assuming price no object, does there exist any DAC, or DAC/Pre combo, capable of making my streamer (or the best streamer in existence, for that matter) sound indistinguishable from an FM radio signal, given each "playing" the same recording at the same volume with the same EQ?

hickamore

I really wonder why people want digital to sound like an FM broadcast.  It’s like going to an expensive restaurant and complaining that it doesn’t taste like Wendys 

@mahler123 Talk about coming full-circle in 30 years. If only Harry Pearson were around to read that comment. True, HP never got to hear the latest in streamers and DACs introduced since 2014. But he certainly knew the broadcast stations with the highest engineering standards, and the high-end tuners that were once common (Magnum Dynalab is still made today). Prior comments agree that the very best digital components, carefully matched in the right playback environment, can now MATCH the naturalness of analog. Others say "not quite, but you can get close" using certain DACs. You seem to be all by your lonesome in the extreme comparison of digital reproduction (generically) to Michelin 3-star cuisine, or FM broadcast reproduction (generically) to junk food. 

Oh, well. In statistics we discard the outliers. In elections, votes for Gus Hall or George Lincoln Rockwell do count -- they just don't count for MUCH.

@hickamore 

I am not sure why I should care a fig what Harry Pearson thought about anything.

I find his whole concept of “Absolute Sound” interesting in the abstract but completely divorced from real world considerations.  If you live in a concert hall, then yes, aspire to have equipment that can approximate the sound of real musicians playing acoustic instruments in that space.  Most of us live in less spacious quarters which renders that criteria of dubious value.  Also, since most popular music depends heavily on what a mixing engineer cooks up, his criteria again are of little value in the genre preferred by 98% of the listening public.  My preferred genre is Classical, but it isn’t immune to recording trickery as well.

For the record (pun intended),I greatly prefer the enhanced dynamic range and quieter background that digital offers.  I began to yearn for this during the late seventies.  When I heard my first CD, I was in ecstasy.  I believe that people who prefer analog sound are in fact enjoying artifacts.

Having said that, I recently bought a turntable so that I can play lps that are unavailable (or were poorly transferred) digitally.  For me it is the first turntable I’ve owned that approximates the virtues of digital.  It is a Direct Drive, and when I posted about it in the analog section here, some people told me that it was a bad thing because “Direct Drives sound digital”.  To which I say, bring it on.

However, your preferred ideal seems to be FM radio.  We all have the right to enjoy what we like, but this incomprehensible to me.  And yes, I have heard high end FM tuners.  They can sound warm and fuzzy like cuddling up with a nice soft throw on a cold winter day, but you might as well stick a pond of cotton in each ear if you like to hear musical detail.  If that is your ideal, why are you bothering to listen to digital at all?

@mahler123 

"If that is your ideal, why are you bothering to listen to digital at all?"

Same reason others do: (1 )convenience (2) sound effects are exciting. Just doesn't work for me late on quiet evenings when I want authenticity in the sound of folk rock or baroque ensemble.

Tubes will probably get you there.  I would get a tubed DAC and consider pairing it with a really gauzy sounding tubed amplifier such as Prima Luna.  Be aware that not all tubed components will give that big mellifluous sound- I use a Cary SLP 3 which expands the soundstage but still has a low noise floor and lots of detail.  Prima Luna, however emphasize the traditional tube virtues, and can be very warm and enveloping.  It can be a very addictive sound.  It is to full fat for me, but like a piece of tiramisu a very special occasional treat, and since our listening ideals differ you might find it to your liking.

One other thought—do the latest FM tuners accept digital inputs-essentially offering pre amp capability?  If they did then that might be worth exploring