Bose 901 VI flat?

I purchased a pair of Bose 901 VI speakers recently and a new Sony STRDH190 receiver.  I have wanted these speakers for years and finally got them.  Problem is, they sound flat and weaker than expected.  I adjusted the bass and treble to my liking but that only helped a little.  I have the Bose EQ that came with the speakers but i'm not using it due to new receiver technology.  Am i doing something wrong? I know these are great speakers with a great history.  

jonicurn

@russ69 is giving you excellent advice. Take it. Don't live with a mistake and spend more money trying to fix it.

Man I don't think I ever heard the Bose 901 sound good, maybe passable in some situations but if there was ever a mediocre speaker that was one. 

Thanks for backing me up guys but I wanted to say for the OP to use the Bose equalizer first, it won’t cost anything and you’ll have something to listen to. You can hook it up between your source and receiver as a test. 

That's right, USE the equalizer and see if you like it. If so, great, and find a way to implement the equalize. If you don't like it, cut bait and look for something else