Galion TS120

So this seems to be a bit weird. Thomas Tan from Thomas & Stereo is touting this as his improved version of the Doge 10. He’s having all of his YouTube buddies review the amp.

I’ve checked a number of the forums and I can’t find a single post about this amp. There is a very strange "post" where you would look for the Doge 10 by the co-creator of that amp who seems very upset about the Galion TS120 and the fact that they took the Doge 10 off the market even though the Galion TS120 is almost the same thing.

Ron, from New Record Day, has a video where he compared the Fusion Black Ice F35, the Rogue Cronus Magnum III, the Galion TS120 and the LTA Z40+i with sound samples and a reference. I listened and thought that the LTA was the best with the Galion second although it was a closer second than it should have been given the price differential.

So, anyhow, my questions are whether anyone has bought this or knows about it and/or has some thoughts about it.

dz13

@jjss49 Is this an amp you’ve actually heard? Why is this, in your opinion, the answer to everything?

I've been trying to investigate it and there are a few things bothering me. First, the optional modular phono stage is MM and high output MC cartridges but not low output MC cartridges. The optional modular DAC has almost no information about it. 

This is supposed to be an entry level product but it costs anywhere from $5,500 to $7,250 with the options. That means that it is competing with many mid to high level products from other companies. How does it compare to other integrateds in the same price area?  

@dz13 I actually heard the Audio research I50 with the horn $15k+ Avantgarde speakers that were very sensitive. So it definitely was not a bottleneck. I personally loved it, it was nonaggressive and smooth, and it really showcased the strength of the 6550, very pleasant to listen to. Reminded me of the Cayin CS55a with 6550 coke bottle tubes. If you want to relax and enjoy the music, I would say it is worth auditioning.

Having said that, my friend Mr. Kanta did not like it because he said it lacked dynamic contrast but take his observations with a grain of salt because that day we were listening to many $200k+ systems so it is easy to get confused when we had things to compare.

I have been watching this amp - looking for a tube amp with a bit more power than my LTA Ultralinear.  Have just restored an old pair of Ellis Audio 1801s that I built in 2005 - something like 84 db and need a bunch more power - so much so I have also been looking at new generation of class d as well.  Also have Zu Soul Supreme that like low powered amps but have read maybe like amps with some grunt even more.  Love this crossover - from youtube star who listens to a bunch of gear to gear builder and provider.  Would love to get on a tour if there ever is one - and I am in Canada!

I had both versions for home demo. Both are great but the special edition is much smoother than the standard edition. The sound stage is deep and wide. The top end has very nice air and details. Class A is far better than the A/B. Sorry Thomas, the A/B wasn’t doing it for me but yes, definitely the class A was what I preferred. I actually lost my job during the process and my wife was shitting on me for buying a new amplifier so Thomas took it back. Once I get back up and going again I will definitely be purchasing the special edition. Anyone saying Thomas is a slime ball salesman has obviously not had any dealings with him. He’s a straight up guy and he’s put a lot of blood sweat and tears into this amp. That’s why I wanted to buy it. How many companies go to the degree he did to bring a product to market and put their entire reputation on the line? Follow the story of the Galion and Thomas before making comments like that. 

More to discover