Distinctly Digital Forever?

Something always made me believe that a decent tube preamp could "mellow" or "naturalize" the sound of digital sources. But this doesn't seem to be so. OTOH, maybe there are DACS out there that not only convert to analog, but actually make digital source components sound like analog sources? So, just to further my understanding: assuming price no object, does there exist any DAC, or DAC/Pre combo, capable of making my streamer (or the best streamer in existence, for that matter) sound indistinguishable from an FM radio signal, given each "playing" the same recording at the same volume with the same EQ?

hickamore

@larryi I think Audio Note DACs your description of what is desirable more than do most other high end digital gear. The prices of their gear goes pretty high and that range is almost entirely the result of using higher quality parts for the analogue post-conversion sections of the DAC; the digital section does not change much and is deliberately simple—no oversampling, very simple filters

I doubt that you can find philosophically and design any more opposing approach/execution  than Audio Note and Mola Mola. 180 degrees for certain.

Charles

sound indistinguishable from an FM radio signal,

No, there are many DAC's that use upsampling though which you might like

@charles1dad …indeed, add Chord and DCS to that….

Not my cup of tea but i do try to discern strengths and weakness… as i know you do as well.

Best in music - Jim

Border Patrol…while this DAC may float for some, personally any DAC that can’t play files up to 24/192kHz natively is a non-starter. 

+1 on Aqua DACs. Starting with La Voce, then moving up the ladder (no pun intended) to La Scala, then to the Formula.