Distinctly Digital Forever?

Something always made me believe that a decent tube preamp could "mellow" or "naturalize" the sound of digital sources. But this doesn't seem to be so. OTOH, maybe there are DACS out there that not only convert to analog, but actually make digital source components sound like analog sources? So, just to further my understanding: assuming price no object, does there exist any DAC, or DAC/Pre combo, capable of making my streamer (or the best streamer in existence, for that matter) sound indistinguishable from an FM radio signal, given each "playing" the same recording at the same volume with the same EQ?

hickamore

No.  But you can get close.  R2R is the way to go if you want analog sound from a DAC, IMHO.  I have a Totaldac D1 core.  It's very analog sounding.

Agree that R2R, non-over sampling DACs are worth exploring.  Mojo Mystique and Denafrips Terminator would be two I’d take a look at.  Best of luck. 

One can have digital sources sound as good and natural as analog. Getting there just requires careful choices… as in choosing analog equipment.

A preamp cannot correct for a feed that is not natural, just like DAC cannot make up for a streamer that does not sound natural. My great analog end sounds the same as my digital leg… natural, dynamic, detailed and very musical. You can see my system under my UserID.

My digital leg is an Aurender W20SE streamer —> Audio Research CD9SE DAC —> Audio Research Reference 6SE phonostage. One can use the Berkeley Reference Alpha 3 DAC as well. I had one of those in my system as well. Virtually indistinguishable from the ARC… only a tiny bit more detailed and less musical.

Inferring from what you have said about your tastes, it sounds like my components likely to be good recommendations for you.

To, be more helpful. What is the rest of your system as the sound you get out is going to be the result of every component… and the venue.

You can make digital audio sound like anything you want to. There are various plugins for sale for use with digital audio workstations that emulate famous recording consoles, preamps, reel-to-reel tape machines, etc. Some software players have support for these plugins. For example, I think there's a foobar2000 component that can use them as part of the output pipeline.