Threshold Stasis S/150

I am considering purchasing the S/150 to drive the Vandersteen 2ci. Do you think the S/150 is enough to drive the 2ci? What I have heard is that the first 30 watts is in Class A mode. Thanks 

Ag insider logo xs@2xhighend64

Ok let me be really clear here. The Threshold amps are a great piece of history. If you want history,,, this is what you want. If you want high performance sound quality,.. what is your budget, we will help you find high end sound quality… it is not going to be a 40 year old amp.

@ghdprentice 

I have not made a commitment on the amp yet. All I was asking if the Threshold was enough to drive the Vandersteen. My budget is less then 1.5k.

yes… for a speaker in production since 1977 w 250 k sold in many variants including NOW, the 2 like ALL Vandersteen products is designed to be an EASY load…no ultra low impedance dips or bizare phase angles, etc…

My brother gets excellent results w a slightly larger Threshold and the 3a-signature

Join us at Vandersteen owners forum…. lots of 2 owners can tell you what amps they use.

Do pay some attention to age of unit and VERY possible need for recap..

I'm curious about the the sound of the historical amps as they age. I enjoyed access to Woodbridge Stereo in NJ in the 1980s. They carried the Thresholds, among other goodness. I now have a possible bead on an S/500 II, in the process of a refurbishment. Or maybe a Levinson 23.5. No matter. The arc welders of yore, seventh of their names, etc. I do enjoy listening to the equipment I once coveted but could not afford.

Will an older amp exceed the original sound/detail/staging with refreshment of the older parts with more modern bits? Or is it a hit or miss proposition?

I am not at all opposed to refurb'd equipment. I feel lucky to be running a CJ 17LS2 into a Pass Aleph 5, with my Vandersteen 2ce Sigs. Both the preamp and the amp have made the journey to their respective factories and back again. If I don't try for sustained volumes above 90 dB, the setup is very satisfying. I've had multiple amps through the house and with it comes the opportunity to try "new things."

The A5 developed a hum during my stewardship, so I knew it was time. But are there other sonic cues that suggest that a solid state amp requires attention?