Advice for an aspiring musician

Hi, I’m 15 and for the past year I’ve been recording and writing songs on GarageBand (yeah I know). I found it was a nice to be able to grab my phone when I was bored and write something that I wanted to hear.

I decided to make a SoundCloud to keep all my tracks in one place. My dad got my brother and I a ableton live mixing board. And I think ableton gives you even more freedom.

I’ve made the decision that this is something I really want to pursue. I was wondering what advice seasoned musicians could advise me to do. Do I get a degree in uni? What software do I use? I play drums and sax, what are some other instruments I should look in to learning?

Thanks in advance to answerers

silva88

Whart has some good valued things said...

Reality...are you gifted...i mean a sell able musician.Kid i know is crazy great player at 14-16/schooled...great drummer too.Told him be able to get a great singing voice.Not so easy.Whart said great song writer...something different?

Whart said "hooking up with notable people"...thats cool.Was there...people that have your best interest yeah.15 yrs old.Funny a song by cat stevens comes to mind.Father and son.You want it...many people do.Glw it.

@digsmithd said: "Reality...are you gifted...i mean a sell able musician.Kid i know is crazy great player at 14-16/schooled...great drummer too.Told him be able to get a great singing voice.Not so easy.Whart said great song writer...something different?"

The difference is that the gifted performer is just that- a voice or an instrument on a recording who may see some money if the recording sells but little else. Given the proliferation of streaming over physical media, I'd say "good luck" to seeing much money as a performer, not matter how gifted"

There are exceptions of course--songwriting is different because you get paid if the song gets covered. If used in a TV show or movie, you make money. Holding those rights as the author is important. 

I have friends that appeared on very famous records as performers who earn almost nothing. There are also people that wrote a few big songs who simply clip coupons. 

The OP is young and has time to develop. Getting to be an in demand performer is probably even harder- stage presence, almost like actor/model/etc. The Internet has diluted this to a level of banality. Think of how few "big acts" there are today- not legacy stuff that is out there to earn a little more in their dotage. (And yeah, that's the other thing with being a performer- you have to keep working). 

And see as much live music as you can. Watching musicians perform live often reveals to you their "secrets". ;-)

whart...points taken.Have rubbed elbows with some great people/musicians and miss the fun of creating...most of the time.

Another suggestion to op is gear page might be more pointed to other's that are in the business of recording and tuber's...?