An interesting experience with power cable.

I’ve read a lot about power cables throughout the years and finally took a leap of faith and bought 1 silver-plated power cable. Of course I immediately plugged it in my amp and turn on everything for a listen. I could hear a tiny improvement but honestly was underwhelmed. I plugged the basic cable back into the amp. I plug the upgraded cable into my DAC for fun.

WOW, immediate and significant improvements. I gained a substantial amount of smoothness and sweetness and perceived clarity was also improved. I have alternate the upgraded power cable into the amp a few times, each time I get the same results, underwhelming, not as dramatic as if the cable went into the DAC.

So that was unexpected, I’m not saying power cable for amps are not significant. What I’m saying is, if you have only 1 upgraded power cable, the rest being stock basic, then plug it in your DAC, you might be surprised as well. Thanks for reading fellas.

Very curious to get a 2nd cable for the amp now.

128x128samureyex

I’ve two Lincoln welders, 240 V 50 amp. each. Both use eight gauge cable. So people are to believe a small amplifier needs 8 gauge ? I use two amps weighing 136 lbs each putting out 500+ watts per Ch. at .003 Thd., their hard wired with 12 gauge and that is over kill. 

@samureyex don’t draw any conclusions about power cords based on this cable you’re testing now. Looking at their fake Furutech FI-50 NCF looking plugs I wouldn’t trust their claim it’s OCC copper. It also does not look like an 8 awg cord..,hard to tell from their ebay picture.

@1971gto455ho two 500+ watt per ch amps? Talking about overkill…

@samureyex I have a few thoughts I'll share with you, but remember systems and power filtration systems are different for each of us as well as personal preferences.

I agree 100% with @williewonka suggestions and I would recommend the next cord you purchase for your amp be one from Audio Envy which by the way should work very well on any of your components.

Power cords need to break in and be left in place (without movement) in order to know what they really sound like on any specific component.

I find silver-plated power cords (etc) to sound somewhat bloated, I don't mean to put down anyone or a manufacturer, perhaps I just haven't heard the proper power cord. If they sound good then go with them. When I purchase any type of cable that is silver I prefer at least 5N Silver, 100%.

Power cords make a tremendous difference in digital component especially ones that are known for reducing noise. I use a Shunyata Delta NR with my dac.