What are some good things to do when going to an audition

Trying to get some more ideas on some rules to follow when partaking in an audition.  Here are some of the initial thoughts on this:

1. Don't Touch the equipment without permission
  2. Don't set your drink on equipment
  3. Be honest about your intentions of engaging in the audition.
  4. Its a good practice to bring a few CDs so you can listen to what you like.

Am I missing any?  

128x128big_green_jelly_bean

This is not something I can agree with.

I said: Don't audition anything you are not willing to purchase.

Not the best choice of words, please allow me to re-phrase/explain: I meant price range.

With all due respect -- still disagree.

Listening to gear at all levels can benefit both customer (hears new things they can at least appreciate if not purchase right away) and store (gives customer an aspirational path, builds loyalty).

In most stores I have auditioned and purchased, the store rep auditioned better gear for me. Helped me, helped them.

Many hi-end audio videos in YT recorded by CP sound great ...

They can be a lot of fun and I sometimes enjoy them on my little computer speaker system. But YouTube sound on a real system is like listening to Spotify - it's lossy compressed audio. It can't "sound great" unless that's your thing.

@larryi  I like the idea of comparative listening (between old system and audition) using a near-field listening approach. I think it is a good way to take out a lot of the room and is now one of many tools I will use if I ever need to audition again.

I think there is a bit of a sliding curve on what to expect out of a dealer that relates to the gear you're looking at. I'd not expect the 'white glove' treatment for inexpensive items when compared to real high-end auditions of good gear.

Same thing goes for pricing. The less expensive the gear the less to work with so I'd not expect 25% off $2000 speakers. But, some gear, as great as it is, is very expensive. There appears to be a more room to 'adjust' at $25k, etc, and up.

The most important thing to remember when going into any store and asking for their time is to be friendly and respectful.  There is nothing worse, from the dealer's perspective than someone who is expecting to be ripped off and is spoiling for a fight.  Good dealers really want to educate their customers and show why you should desire what they are offering.  They like what they are offering and are committed to their products.  I know dealers who will spend many hours with customers who are looking for modest gear.  If the customer shows an interest in what the dealer is saying and engages the dealer in a friendly manner, that is often more of a motivation for the dealer than the prospects of a big sale; it is NOT all about the Benjamins.