An interesting experience with power cable.

I’ve read a lot about power cables throughout the years and finally took a leap of faith and bought 1 silver-plated power cable. Of course I immediately plugged it in my amp and turn on everything for a listen. I could hear a tiny improvement but honestly was underwhelmed. I plugged the basic cable back into the amp. I plug the upgraded cable into my DAC for fun.

WOW, immediate and significant improvements. I gained a substantial amount of smoothness and sweetness and perceived clarity was also improved. I have alternate the upgraded power cable into the amp a few times, each time I get the same results, underwhelming, not as dramatic as if the cable went into the DAC.

So that was unexpected, I’m not saying power cable for amps are not significant. What I’m saying is, if you have only 1 upgraded power cable, the rest being stock basic, then plug it in your DAC, you might be surprised as well. Thanks for reading fellas.

Very curious to get a 2nd cable for the amp now.

128x128samureyex

@samureyex - what you are experiencing is quite normal because generally speaking...

• Amps tend to have a more robust power supply capable of handling the dynamics of transient peak audio signals
  • Source components tend to have have a lighter duty power supply, mainly by design
    • i.e. keeping the component to a specific price point
    • BUT - higher quality source components tend to have better power supplies
  • installing a quality power cable on a source components often results in noticeble gains in sound quality
  • BUT to achieve a noticeable improvement by attatching a power cable to an amp, you would require a very well designed and built power cable

But as normal, it’s not quite that simple - "GENERALLY"

• tube amps/components tend to use voltage to amplify
    • so a good UP-OCC cable ($$) will "generally" produce noticeable improvements
  • solid state amps and components tend to use current to amplify
    • so power cables of the highest quality ($$$) would be required to achieve the same level of improvement
  • Trying a cable before you buy is often a very good approach

Unfortunately, there are 100’s of brands of cable out there, but the following are just some of the brands that I have looked into in the 15 years I have been dabbling with DIY cables

• Audio Envy - very good bang for the buck products that offer very good performance
  • Zavfino - a step up, but you have to venture into their higher end cables for an appreciable improvement
  • In-Akustik - very capable cables but that perofrmance is reflected in their price
  • Hijiri - these are exceptional cables for components of the highest quality

Please note - this IS NOT a difinitive list - just some exceptional cables that I have been made aware of.

Any of these cables will provide performance improvements over most commercially available "branded" products within a comparable price bracket.

These cables are...

• well designed - i.e. the employ a noise cancelling geometry, which lowers the noise floor of the cable
  • use either UP-OCC copper or UP-OCC silver having excepetional conductivity ratings, which improves dynamic performance
  • use insulations that have low values of Dielectric Constant, which improves clarity and imaging
  • use quality copper connectors (as opposed to copper alloys)

Hope that helps take some of the myth out of this hobby

Regards - Steve

@carlsbad  Those tube amps can draw a lot of power don't they. 

I believe mine is 8 gauge, not sure. it says "8AG" idk what that is.

@audphile1 I've never heard the difference with cable break-in but I don't refute the idea. Mine is probably at 70 hrs. 

@williewonka  Thanks for the plate of knowledge and the effort you gave. I've saved Audio Envy into my audio log book. 

@samureyex I doubt it is 8 gauge.  8 gauge would be 8 awg.  Ag is silver so i'm guessing the AG is silver plated and 8 means something else.

If it is 8 gauge, then it is plenty big and your amp is OK.  I have an amp with huge capacitors that benefits little from the big power cord.  But I use one anyway because they are cheap.

Jerry

@williewonka Thanks for that excellent comment. Saving for future reference.

OP: "An interesting experience with power cable." -- I thought you were going all Marquis de Sade on us. Phew.