Galion TS120

So this seems to be a bit weird. Thomas Tan from Thomas & Stereo is touting this as his improved version of the Doge 10. He’s having all of his YouTube buddies review the amp.

I’ve checked a number of the forums and I can’t find a single post about this amp. There is a very strange "post" where you would look for the Doge 10 by the co-creator of that amp who seems very upset about the Galion TS120 and the fact that they took the Doge 10 off the market even though the Galion TS120 is almost the same thing.

Ron, from New Record Day, has a video where he compared the Fusion Black Ice F35, the Rogue Cronus Magnum III, the Galion TS120 and the LTA Z40+i with sound samples and a reference. I listened and thought that the LTA was the best with the Galion second although it was a closer second than it should have been given the price differential.

So, anyhow, my questions are whether anyone has bought this or knows about it and/or has some thoughts about it.

dz13

I do find it interesting that Doge would air the "dirty laundry" on the website.  Normally you don't see that type of thing publicized.  I'm impressed with their passion about their products though so I can see why they would want to set the record straight.

@phillyb  and ​​​​@tubeguy76 

I can't tell whether what is on the Doge site is factual or not just by reading it. Certainly, the guy posting it has some hard feelings. I also thought it was very strange that Doge would air the "dirty laundry" which gives me pause. 

@curiousjim posted a review by Jay who is a friend of Thomas and reviewers up in Canada on the Galion. I think Jay is honest and will say something is off if he thinks it is. You can look at his review of the Doge 10 and he didn't really like it until it got modified to tame the high end. I also got the feeling that he was being a bit kind to Thomas though, with tube rolling, he got where he thought the amp was very good. 

As to whether Thomas is technical or not, he wanted the amp to do certain things and it was built to accommodate him and he is proud of it. There is a pretty wide dispersion of reviewers who have looked at it and pretty much all agree that they like it so this amp isn't just a "new look Doge 10" as the Doge 10 had some reviewers not so high on it. 

I posted this originally not to criticize anyone but because there is a complete lack of reviews or comments from people in these forums and I thought that surely someone had bought the amp or tried it. I wanted to see if the "common people" had any opinions on the amp because I'm not sure I completely trust the YouTube reviewers or the reviews that are posted on the Galion site. What I mean by not completely trusting is that I am not sure I am getting the whole story.  

@dz13  I had the same feeling, I wasn't sure how factual everything is but it sure is interesting and entertaining.  Gotta love HIFI drama.  As far as youtubers go, I don't trust them any farther than I could throw them.  They're just talking heads.  I'm sure Thomas' amp is pretty decent but, given the myriad of good choices out there, I'll skip his next time I'm looking for an integrated.  I don't want to overpay for a private labeled Doge amp.

Post removed 
Post removed 
More to discover