Outlets and Wire Gauge? - Please help!

I finally contracted an electrician to run two dedicated lines - a week from today! I have been reading thread after thread and the consensus appears to be going with 10awg wire for the 20amp run. My problem is two-fold:

1. I'm stuck selecting an outlet because the electrician says that no 20amp outlet can take 10awg, that "10awg is for 30amp outlets".
  2. I'm stuck selecting an outlet because of what it might do to my sound. 

I simply want to install something good that's going to feed a Puritan Audio PSM156. I am now running ADG Gran Vivace monos. I prefer a rich midrange.

Additionally, I asked for both a 15 and 20 amp run. People suggested I do this so my sources can be run off the 15A with amps / subs off of the 20A, but someone here mentioned ground loops? I am not well-versed in things electrical. Ideally I would like to know if I should stick with the two runs, and what would be a few good choices for each outlet if I do. @jea48 @erik_squires ... I have seen solid advice from you on the topic of outlets, but they lack things specific to awg and outlet type.

Thank you in advance!

PS I estimate the length of the run to be approximately 50', max.

128x128izjjzi

@erik_squires 

Typical MOV based surge protectors use the ground as a drain. At high surge voltages they attempt to short to ground and sometimes the neutral as well. Using a GFCI as a 2 to 3 pin adaptor won't create a magical ground path.  That is, there would be no ground to short to.

With any appliance the surge protector is trying to keep surges which (hopefully) are coming down the hot wire.  So, you have 600V suddenly on your hot. Where do you put it?  Neutral is 1 conductor, but having 2 conductors is better.  What if the surge happens on both neutral AND hot?  You need ground as your option.

A voltage, even a surge voltage, must be between two points. If all you have is line and neutral because you have a 2 prong plug, then those are the only wires the surge can come in on. If there is no other path to ground, than the ground connection of a surge protector can't help you.

@thespeakerdude

Congrats man, you’ve just proven surge protectors can’t work. :) You are on your own now, and ignoring the fact that ground and neutral are bonded at the service entrance as well as basic MOV surge protection design. 

If you want to have those arguments you are on the wrong site.

is 10awg existent inside your amp or inside your speakers, once you're past the binding posts?  

seems like overkill, but whatever floats your boat

the relatively inexpensive outlets that provide solid plug connection seem reasonable

but like I said, whatever you feel will "work" for you

A run of 12 awg (yellow romex), an audioquest nrg edison receptacle, 1 20 amp breaker, this is all you need to do. It’s what I’ve done (installed myself) and did not break the bank. Plugged into the audioquest receptacle is an audioquest Niagara 1200, and a Furman pst-8. This has served me well for the last 4 or five years.

Post removed