Power cord - 5 ft vs 10 ft ?

I've heard many things about the length of a power cord. What is the ideal length of a power cord to give it a chance to perform at its best before connecting to an amplifier?

jumia

I personally like Jason's posts, always succinct and to the point.

There is always so much pseudoscience involved with Hi-Fi it's hard to figure out what is actually real and what's not.

I'm a firm believer in the fact that 1, 2, or 3, meter cords, I'll never hear the difference.

Two days ago I borrowed a mains noise analyzer from my local dealer. I learned how much noise is on the regular ring circuit in my listeningroom. I was surprised at how much noise was on my dedicated 20 Amp circuit. Radio broadcast, static,etc. I was also surprised at how much noise was coming off my 100 pound lead acid battery.

I inserted a transparent audio powerwave which tested at virtually noiseless. I used a high quality "audiophile" type power cord to provide power to the powerwave.

I was gratified that it greatly reduced the hum from my two 45 tube monoblocks.

I checked the noise off of an extension cord that was plugged in to the powerwave and was surprised at how much noise it picked up. It was not a shielded cord so perhaps that should have been expected.

From this I’ve decided that I’m going to have some kind of power conditioner in my system.

So this comment is not purely about power cable length. But I thought experience. 

I have a transparent power isolator and many of their Power cords. Glad to hear it reduces the noise. I’m skeptical about noise analyzers because they tend to make the problem sounds really bad by amplifying the noise so you can hear it. But if you move them around to different outlets in your home you’ll see differences. How meaningful this will be to your system is anyone’s guess.

Even dedicated circuits Will share noise from everywhere else in your house.  I installed a dedicated circuit with 10 gauge wire so the electricity supply would be more responsive to audio system demands, ie. Not impeding those electrons.

Also skeptical of really nice power cords being recommended to attach to a company’s power conditioner. They contend it makes it even better. It may make things better like they say.

Nevertheless, if your system is very revealing and on the upper end, having well shielded power cords and an unrestrictive power conditioner has merit.

@markusthenaimnut 

Blown away by your record collection.  I remember having a 45 Record player with an automatic Stack feeder which for singles made a lot of sense.  For you, and probably not kosher, how nice it might be to have an automatic feeder for your collection.  That way you can plan out a whole afternoon and never have to get up and those late night parties will never have to contend with extended silence.

How does one choose and then find what to play?

@jumia Thank you for your kind comment about my record collection. It has been fun and still is growing, though at a slower rate. 

How do I choose what to play? Great, great question. Believe it or not, mostly i am streaming these days. Saves wear and tear on the cartridge and it is really stressless. Through my bluesound node2i and my orchid it sounds pretty good.