Threshold Stasis S/150

I am considering purchasing the S/150 to drive the Vandersteen 2ci. Do you think the S/150 is enough to drive the 2ci? What I have heard is that the first 30 watts is in Class A mode. Thanks 

Ag insider logo xs@2xhighend64

The Threshold Stasis amps were among the first high current designed amps available… ~1980. I owned a Threshold s500 for nearly two decades. When I replaced it with a Pass x350 the Threshold sounded completely anemic and tinny without a real midrange. Subsequent Pass designs have improved the sound by leaps and bounds. While I loved the Threshold at the time. You couldn’t give me one. If you want sound quality fast forward a few decades.

Are you referring to room response? 

No the specifics of your speaker.

And yes most of us realize Threshold manufactured high Current amps

but thats not the question.

I believe the efficiency of those speakers is 88 db for 1 watt at 1 meter.  Not the most efficient.  I ran a Threshold Cas2 with Linn Kan II (85 db efficiency) and loved the sound.  I have to admit the Cas2 has the longest warm up period I have ever experienced.  Sounded great in 15 minutes but an hour or so in, it goes to superb.  I'm guessing the mid and high will be excellent but the bass might not be as fully driven.  I'd probably pull the trigger, especially if it was priced sweetly. 

@totem395 

I dont have the specifications for the 2ci since the Vandersteen does not have it available on the website. I am awaiting response.

@highend64 not validated, worth re-checking, have these notes on the Vandersteen 2CI Spec:

¾ inch aluminum dome tweeter, 4 ½ “ plastic cone midrange, 8” cone woofer, and a 10” active cone radiator that handles frequencies below 35 Hz. Fequency response is 28 Hz - 20.125 kHz at + or - 3db. Its impedance is at 7 ohms nominal and 5 ohms minimum, efficiency 88db for 1 watt at one meter.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

AMP: Threshold alternative, Forte’ 1a, or Forte’ Model 3, upgraded and converted:

My Pass/Forte’ Model amp is recently reconfigured to Forte’ 1a, pure Class A 50 watts now. Voltage down, bias up. Has four new 30kuf big power caps, large Torroid transformer, new bridge rectifiers, Cardas binding posts, spade connectors removed. All soldered. Not lean at all, very musical, more grunt, 47c, runs Warm at heat sinks. It’s a giant killer now. Will drive your 2ci, no issues, all goodness :)