CAT 5 in 2008 built house

Currently running a Netgear to move metadata upstairs to my Naim Core from downstairs modem.  I've been sufficiently berated for my pillock behavior; introducing countless frequency nasties into the system by way of the Netgear. Okay, I get it.  Help me move on.

Research says CAT 5 is 100 meters max run.  Temporarily, I'm considering running a winding 150ft. CAT 5 up the stairs from the modem until properly running it through the walls and then it should be properly upgraded anyway.

What say you geniuses?  And thank you only for the intelligent workable solutions.

celtic66

@celtic66

2008... I am pretty sure it is Cat 5e, not Cat 5.

For the existing in-wall cabling Cat 5e, in most cases, is still adequate.

Like erik_squires said, I also would install Cat 6 minimum.

FWIW the cable’s performance is only as good as the connectors used and terminations of the cable pairs to the jacks.

My preference is Panduit.

Here a Mini-Com jack. Color is blue. You can pick another color...

Mini-Com® UTP RJ45 Cat 6 TG Jack Module, Blue - Panduit

You will need a EGJT-1 for the termination of the cable pairs to the jack. You can buy one for less than $5.00. Wholesale house that carry Panduit products will give you one free if you buy the jacks and wall plates from them.

TG Jack, Field Term Plug Termination Tool - Panduit

Here is a Youtube video on how to install the Mini-Com Cat 6 RJ45 jack.

Terminate Panduit Minicom Ethernet Cat 5 / 6 Network Jacks

Note, when the guy says Ethernet wiring color scheme is 568b. All Commercial is wired 568b. For some strange reason residential is 568a. Why 568a? Beats me. I wire all my jacks and plugs 568b. Either way works the same as long as both ends are wired the same. The jacks and plugs are stupid. They have no idea whether they are in an office building or in a residence. FWIW all pre-made patch cords are wired 568b.

What’s available? Example:

https://www.graybar.com/search?text=Mini-Com%C2%AE%20Classic%20Faceplate

It is CAT 5e.  I just want to run a crazy length 150 ft. temporarily from the box downstairs to music server upstairs for now.  That should work unless told otherwise.  Will fix correctly in future.

@celtic66

Have you sourced a place to buy cat6 from yet?

Blue Jeans ready made cat6 and Cat6a Ethernet patch cables with RJ45 plugs.

Scroll down page for pricing. Cat5e, cat6, and Cat6a, Ethernet patch cables.

https://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/data-cables/index.htm

You specified 150ft. I assume you figured a little extra cable to be on the safe side. FYI, do not tightly coil up the excess cable. A tightly coiled Ethernet cable can cause data errors.

High Performance Cat6 ,30AWG, UL Listed,RJ45 Ethernet Patch Cable provides universal connectivity for

For $30.00...