Outlets and Wire Gauge? - Please help!

I finally contracted an electrician to run two dedicated lines - a week from today! I have been reading thread after thread and the consensus appears to be going with 10awg wire for the 20amp run. My problem is two-fold:

1. I'm stuck selecting an outlet because the electrician says that no 20amp outlet can take 10awg, that "10awg is for 30amp outlets".
  2. I'm stuck selecting an outlet because of what it might do to my sound. 

I simply want to install something good that's going to feed a Puritan Audio PSM156. I am now running ADG Gran Vivace monos. I prefer a rich midrange.

Additionally, I asked for both a 15 and 20 amp run. People suggested I do this so my sources can be run off the 15A with amps / subs off of the 20A, but someone here mentioned ground loops? I am not well-versed in things electrical. Ideally I would like to know if I should stick with the two runs, and what would be a few good choices for each outlet if I do. @jea48 @erik_squires ... I have seen solid advice from you on the topic of outlets, but they lack things specific to awg and outlet type.

Thank you in advance!

PS I estimate the length of the run to be approximately 50', max.

128x128izjjzi

Well, usually #10 is overkill, but your electrician is mistaken.  He is mistaking minimum required for maximum allowed. Here’s a listing from Lowe’s for a typical Commercial/Residential. Says clearly:

Convenient back and side wire connections allow for use with #10-#14 AWG solid or stranded wire

The Eaton website says the same thing. 15A outlets will take 10 gauge wiring but worthwhile checking on a case by case basis.

If you really wanna know if it’s money well spent. You should record a video of your smart phone screen while using an app for your phone that measures LUF’s. LUF,s are what sound engineers measure instead of measuring RMS. From what I’ve read it’s the superior way to measure music. I found this app for my iPhone called.”youlean LM”. The app is very easy to read, and will also keep a record of the sound that your equipment is producing. You could measure some music or some test tones from the same location in your room before and after you change the wiring. It would be really cool to find out if it makes a difference at all. I’m putting my money on that it will not make a difference. But, if I’m wrong, then I will be calling my local electrician and having mine changed as well. 

Find another electrician.  

I recently installed a bunch of 15 amp outlets with 10 awg solid wire.  

Your electrician apparently wants to use the back stabs which are a poor contact.   do not let him use back stabs period.  all connections to outlets must be screws. 

Jerry

I have never had problems like this with electricians other than they think I am crazy. I just installed 10 gauge Romex and use 15 amp hospitals grade or audiophile outlets either 15 amp like AudioQuest or Cardas. Typically most home subwoofers and amps do not require 20 amps.

Also, typically folks would run one direct line for components / conditioner, and one for amp… I guess you could run one for the subwoofers.

Yes, 10 gauge sounds better than 12 or 14. And get a different electrician, he clearly does not understsnd basic wiring.

@carlsbad +1

Ground loops should not be a problem unless you have two different breaker boxes and one line comes from one and one from another. If they are both dedicated lines and from the same box, there should be no problem.