Warming up equipment

Just looking for a little guidance. I am the proud owner of a dream come true, a Pass X250.8. (The bank is sharing this dream too)  I was told by the seller, Reno Hi-Fi,Mark, that the proper sequence of operation, is the following:  Upon turning your system on, the AMP should be last to be activated, and the first to be turned off.  

My question is: Is it OK,  just to turn the AMP on for a couple of hours, and nothing else prior to listening, and then activating  pre amp, Dac, CD transport, etc when actually ready to start listening?  Or better to start everything in proper sequence 2 hrs earlier, and just leave on until ready. Thanks        Robert TN   Afraid of any surge possibilities!!!!

robshaw

It's always best to power up your preamp first. That way, there's no way your amplifier can pass any of its turn-on transients on to your speakers.

+1 @cleeds

The Pass x series are in standby mode at all times… warming the circuits slightly at all times (unless unplugged or turned off with the switch in the back). I don’t remember much of a difference in my Pass x350… which I had for over ten years. I do remember a big difference in my preamps after ten or fifteen minutes. (Not in my most recent preamp though… ARC Reference 6SE).

I was told if you listen every day to just leave it on forever. Versus turning it on and off 356 times a year does more damage, then leaving it on all the time where it stays nice and warm.