Connecting a phonostage to a processor.

Hello, this might seem like a dumb question, but I currently have a Parasound JC3 plus phonostage connected via RCA cables to my Classe Sigma SSP. My Classe has a digital bypass option, which allows the analog signal to pass freely to the amp. Would I be degrading the sound quality if I did not use the bypass feature, thereby sending an analog signal to Classe, then having the analog signal running through the DAC of my processor? Seems like that would be an extra layer of processing that would cause some distortion. However, I think my turntable actually sounds slightly better not using the bypass option.

128x128bwguy

@bwguy  : Was not you who said your question was a dumb one?. I only post that agree with you. That's it.

R.

@bwguy 

There are some very helpful and knowledgeable individuals on this forum.  (I'm not one of them.)  There is also the occasional poster who feels a need to insult others, for some reason or another.  Generally, I've found that those who feel a need to insult others have a significant insecurity of their own that they should address and work through.  

Your experience trumps what theoretically should happen, although perhaps if the signal sounds better with more processing, then that might mean that there is some weakness in your system, and the extra "distortion" smooths out the irregularities that you hear through the bypass.  Either way, enjoy your music, and I can highly recommend upgrading components when it is feasible.  

Yep, thank you drbond.  I use this forum to learn, and agree many on here have great knowledge. I have learned so much from many of you.   In my post, I simply was interested in other experiences on this topic.  I would have thought putting the processor in bypass mode would give the better sound, so I was surprised with my results. I will, however, continue to experiment.  My cables are new, so perhaps not broken in yet.  Turntable is a clear audio performance with a titanium cartridge, so not sure where the weak link is.

Anyway, I agree that people that have to insult others have other issues.  Enjoy the music!