Older Revel vs Newer Magicos

I have an opportunity to get some Revel Studio 2 for about the same price as some used Magico A3’s. I recently heard some Studio 2’s being driven be a 100w Cambridge amp, not sure but, I think it was not an integrated. They sounded pretty special to my old ears. However, I have never heard the Magicos. Has anyone experienced both of these the speakers? And if so, please provide your opinions on them and whether the Studio 2’s should be considered older technology to be avoided.

hysteve

Thanks for that hanki! As you probably know, the S series is a lot more speaker than the A’s and, not insignificantly, price wise. That’s why I was thinking A3. If I bought the S5, even used, I’d probably need a new wife. 😆 However the S3, in previous iteration (Mk 1) can be had for about 4,000 more than used current model A3. Question becomes is S3 Mk1 heads and shoulders above current A3?

I would make sure you listen to the Magico. Make sure your equipment is up to them. They are very fast and revealing. I have heard them sound bad on a number of occasions when paired with electronics not up to being completely revealed. 

I have general thoughts.

Both excel at having a wide sweet spot and smooth tonal balance, including rich bass.

This also means IMHO, they need a lot of room to the sides to sound their best.

Tonally they are not the same. I find Magico’s cool in the treble and maybe with an extra chestiness in the lower voice, mid piano. This opinion is my own and not often shared by others. Listen to Diana Krall’s voice and piano in particular as well as some good horns.

I make no judgment here which is better for you, just that these are the impressions I’ve been left with.

ghdprentice equipment was questionable in my mind until I read some reviews of those with the same amp as mine. It’s only 60 w of power (Pass Int 60) but it’s 30 w of class A before going to A-B. And I’ve got good cabling that were all recently upgraded. Should be fine there. 

One reservation I would have with the Revels' is parts support if you ever need a replacement driver in the future.  Those midrange drivers and woofers with the titanium diaphragms are not in production any more, so the supply of replacement drivers will eventually dry up.