Rell or JL subwoofer?

I have 4 classe 25 amps biamping 4000 watts to a set of Bowers 802D3, I currently have 2 12 inch svs pro 1000 sealed subs, 500 watts each and a 15 inch klipsch like 800 watts, do to space I need to get rid of the 15 inch klipsch, so I’m upgrading my 12 inch svs , I use my system for 50% music and 50% movies and I do prefer smooth movie bass that the svs subs give out,  everyone says Rell is for music, and to get JL audio, but my dealer that sells Rell said Rell is definitely the way to go for movies and music that Jl is not . I have learned to trust him, very kewl guy, so his opinion got me confused cause everyone else said Rel is only for music and JL is actually hybrid for both music and movies. I’m looking at JL audio fathom 112 or fathom 113 vs Rel s812 or Rel carbon series, which do you guys recommend? I leave it up to you guys!!thanks so much 

128x128mariobeniteziv

I have owned a few REL they are definitely good with music and more than satisfying when playing a movie in 2.1.

I run mine RCA because I am afraid to use the Speakon type connector with my tube amps.  Solid State fully differential amps can NOT be used speaker level with REL subs you will damage the amplifier.   That may prohibit you from using speaker level with your Classe as they are most likely truly balanced 

As @erik_squires said, JL has the auto EQ feature, and that is nice to have. It wasn’t worth the cost to me when I wanted to add 2 more subs.

And as @soix touched on, SVS subs have an app that lets you apply up to 3 PEQ points to each sub, along with other adjustments that can help integration, such as continuous phase control. To really take advantage of the SVS features, one needs a measurement system, such as REW with a UMIK-1 or the Dayton OmniMic2 system.

Unless your preamp or processor lets you adjust phase (or delay) of the sub relative to the main, a continuously variable phase control is a must on a sub. Since you are doing movies, too, you may be using a processor that can adjust phase, and maybe even automatically.

Does the Rel line level split the signal through an internal crossover then speaker line goes filtered to the speaker?

No. REL recommends running the main speakers full range.

https://rel.net/blog/2021-03-24/principles-of-sound/what-is-a-high-pass-filter-and-why-doesnt-rel-use-them/

Solid State fully differential amps can NOT be used speaker level with REL subs you will damage the amplifier.

REL has instructions for connecting speaker level to fully differential amps (this link for a single subwoofer. There are instructions elsewhere for a stereo pair).

https://rel.net/blog/2015-07-23/how-to/how-to-connect-a-rel-to-a-balanced-amp/

Where or how have your SVS subs been located in the room?  What are your current SVS preset settings? 

By the time any REL reaches the manufactures low frequency claim it's down -6dB which makes it a simple, to quote Richard Edmond Lord, "sub-bass speaker." It's not a subwoofer. Aside from a 0/180 phase switch a detent crossover the only control is to lower the volume until the thing doesn't draw attention to itself when playing track 4 from the film score of 'Sneakers.'  

If your kewl dealer doesn't have a JL Audio Fathom subwoofer for a direct comparison you might want to rethink your trust for this.

JL Audio's Fathom series may be of higher build quality than your SVS but their D.A.R.O simply adjusts frequency peaks within the room automatically to a set JL Audio standard. There's no manual adjustment unless you opt for the $3K CR-1.

The SVS has far more remote controlled parameters to match the lower frequency of your main speakers, provide low frequency gain to your taste as well as three customizable presets of different settings.

You could run your HT and two channel into a Velodyne Plus. Compose preset EQ's for both and slave your SVS. The only restriction would not being able to run HT and two channel at the same time. Good luck with your search