Lumin X1 and Upgraded DC umbilical cord for power supply.

I know this question is so very specific but just wonderin’ if anyone has experimented with aftermarket umbilical cords to be used with their Lumin streamers.

I see that a company called Westminster Labs sell a cord for $$$. And Audio Sensibilities also sells a cord for much less and has my interest.

Has anyone had experience using one of these cords?

ozzy

128x128ozzy

Boy, what a PITA it is to connect the cable to the Lumin proper! What a design! Took a little swearing...

ozzy

Isn't it a plug-in connector with pins? What makes it a difficult task ? Just curious. Going from a rating of 3 to 8 is quite the improvement.

Charles

charles1dad,

First the unit has to be turned upside down. Then there is a long rear top overhang that gives little to no room for my fat fingers. Then you have to line up the pins, push the connector in/down and thread the round ring that tightens the connector down.

Requires quite a bit of swearing, my dog is still hiding.

ozzy

@ozzy 

Okay, I understand. Hopefully the sound quality it provides will be more than worth the aggravation of placing the umbilical cable.

Charles 

Well, it's been a couple of days now and the lean sound that was first present seems to be gone. I was a little concerned.
If it is made truly with high grade silver, then I guess some break in is expected. I think Steve said 150 hours.

ozzy

Ozzy:

What do you think of the AS umbilical after 150 hours?  I really like my X1 and wonder if it's worthwhile to upgrade from Purple to Master fuse, and replace the stock umbilical with AS or Westminster.

Btw, have you consider fiber optic cabling instead of copper ethernet?  It's a significant upgrade (especially for a longer connection from server to the X1).