Lumin P1 or Pre / Streamer / DAC separates?

Hi - wanted to see if anyone had experience with the Lumin P1 - especially interested in how it works as a Preamp.  I have both Krell Illusions ii & Zesto Leto Preamplifiers.  I use a Auralic G1 Aries Streamer and a MHDT Pagoda balanced DAC.  They feed a Krell Duo 300xd Amplifier.

I am thinking about simplifying things, shifting to the Lumin P1 as a Streamer / DAC and Pre.  I previously had a Lumin D2 which I thought punched above it’s weight class, I’m confident the P1 is an outstanding Streamer / DAC but less confident in if it will perform well as a Pre.  I’ve tried feeding the 300xd direct without a Pre and have always preferred having a Pre in the chain.  

The P1 was designed to change the narrative.

Crazy to think the P1 can best separates?  Again, I think it would best my streamer / DAC. 

Thanks,

mm1tt77

So I took the plunge on a P1.  It’s got around 24 hours of burn in.

Out of the box, wasn’t impressed.  Had attributes I liked but sounded somewhat thin and etched.  Sounded a tad better with a pre in the chain, the LEEDH volume control came in third out of 3 volume / pre options.

Listened the 1st night I got it and the let it sit, burn in.  Wasn’t really excited about digging into some more listening, tweaking.  

Listening now, after some burn in, wow, what a difference.  Best streaming I’ve heard in my system, by a noticeable margin.  I’ve had various streamers, DAC’s in my chain, none at this price point but also some well respected gear, if I factor in my Pre, we’ll then this flips to one of my most cost effective set ups.

So far, sounds best in my system directly feeding my Amp using the LEEDH volume control with the gain analogue audio out set to low.  Using an inexpensive fiber optic converter for my internet hook up.  LEEDH volume in my system is the real deal.  Even with the Zesto Leto Pre, turning on the LEEDH and being able to tweak the gain - (the Leto’s voltage / gain is too high for the Krell) provided the best sound.

What I have read and from what Lumin says, burn in at 200 hours has noticeable gains another jump at 400.  If the trend continues, wow, this all in one just took me down to 2 boxes for my 2 channel and also has HT bypass.  At it’s price point, doing all that, crazy value, my pre’s where close or at the price point of the P1.  And it is quite - with it in the chain, system has never had this quite a canvas to start from.

Hi,

and what, after two weeks it's even better.

I am also thinking of buying a P1 or T3.

I kind of thought about and kind of took the same path you are considering but with other brands.  I moved from tubes to trying to use a DAC as preamp.  I started with a PS Audio Direct Stream DAC into Primaluna amps.  I ended up with a Bricasti M1, Cary SLP-05 into AGD Audions.  I tried to run without the Cary but missed the little tube bloom added by the Cary. To me it really added life back to my system.  If you have / had tubes give a DAC / pre a try but be prepared to put tubes back in somewhere.  I went the tube pre direction to avoid the cost of power tubes, heat and weight.  I could not be happier!!

Curious if the P1 is still delivering over there. I run a D2 direct to my amp and the P1 is on my short list.