Do I Need a New DAC?

Do I Need a New DAC?

Newbie here to seek advice on a new DAC with a budget of up to $2K

I am thinking about adding a new my DAC so my stereo setup can play a small collection of SACDs using a 4K DVD player.

Here is my current Stereo setup

CD Player: Emotiva ERC-1 (as a transport)

DVD Player: Sony UBP-X800M2

DAC: Monarchy Audio M33 DAC / pre-amp

Pre-amp: Audio Research SP-6E (I think)

Power-amp: Audio Research VT100 MIII

Speakers: KEF104.2 (re-capped; replaced ferrofluid)

Analog: SOTA Nova V, SME3009 III, Audio Technica AT440MLA cartridge

Interconnectors and speaker cables: DIY Gotham cable    

I have a decent collection of CDs (classical, jazz, and pop) that I listen to occasionally; I have no plan to rip and stream them for any time soon.

All the equipment except the DVD player have been with me for a while.  I am thinking about spending some money in the next several years to upgrade the DAC, the CD player, the pre-amp and the speakers in that order. 

The reason to add a new DAC as the Toslink In on the Monarchy M33 is broken and I cannot connect the Sony DVD player to the DAC (the digital In is currently connected with the CD player); also, I would like to get some updated technology on DAC. 

Based on web research, I am thinking about these DACs: Gustard R26, OKto Research, Soekris DAC2541, Schiit Yggdrasil + (a bit over budget), and Hegel HD30 DAC (used).  I have yet to hear the sound of any of these DACs.  I am OK with either new or used and open to other recommendations.

Shall I add a DAC or shall I forget about the SACDs (about 20 CDs); instead, buy a better CD player or save more money to buy a better pre-amp.  Not going to invest in a dedicated SACD player for now though.

Thank you very much for your time; looking forward to reading your comment.

junge

"I would buy the $900 Topping 90 "

I would avoid all things Topping. There are a number of sites, including ASR which promotes the Topping brand fanatically, where a good percentage of users complain about the quality of Topping products. They appear to be built to measure very well but do have quality control problems. The Gustard is far better.

Apart from the ones mentioned, I would look at the Sonnet Morpheus.

Thank you so much again everyone for your comment and recommendations; I sincerely appreciate it.

Seems like there are many DAC options out there for the price range of up to $2K.  I have not heard of the Sony TAZH1ES and I will take a look at it.  I don't use headphone at all except when I exercise; I guess it doesn't harm to have the headphone amp function in a good DAC. 

I will do more research on the Gustard R26, Chord Quetest, Benchmark DAC3, Schiit Yggdrasil+ and the Topping DAC.  I have no clue about the Topping and the Chord; I read reviews about the other 3 and it is pretty much it.  I haven't heard of their sound at all.  The last decent audio equipment I purchased was the VT100 M3 power amp and the SOTA turntable which is over 10 years ago; I know I have a lot of catch up to do. 

Upgrade my CD player is on my to-do-list but the purchase will likely be next week with a budget of $1K to $1.5K max.  I saw an article about the Denon CD / SACD player as suggested by pedroeb.  I think it may be a good option for me. 

It did not occur to me that I have to consider things mentioned by mahler123 and boomerbillone about SACD play back.  I have a simple 2-channel stereo setup; I do have a cheap 7.2 channels AV receiver from Costco, but I don't plan to use it for music playback.  If it is the case, maybe I should forget about SACD playback at all like soix indicated as I just have a tiny collection.  I probably just play them as regular CDs. 

mahler123...I believe my Sony player is a universal player as it can play multiple media formats including SACD.  It has a HDMI out for audio; I guess I can connect it with a modern DAC that equip with IIS like the Gustard R26.

I have never thought about music streaming either with my own music collection or with a subscription service.  The reason is that I have not listened to all my CDs at least once.  My wife keeps telling me that with my current speed of listening to my music, I won't finish listening to all my CDs in 10 years.  I have to admit that it is true.  I start buying CDs in the late 80s when I was young.  I brought them with me when I came here to study in the early 90s.  After all these years, I still haven't listened to all the discs I brought to this country years ago, and I keep buying 10 to 20 discs a year.  Maybe I should take a look at streaming as suggested by mahler123 and mlsstl.  How much will be the initial investment in streaming?  

wturkey....I know how to do simple soldering; I need to check the part number and do the repair myself!  This will give me 1 more input selection though I still plan to get a better DAC.

Tim to sleep....Cheers!

Hey, wake up ... while checking Gustard do eyeball the X16.  Had it two years and not going anywhere ... 

Just a short note. Before I moved up to a project RS2T transport, which is to die for.  I used and still use in another system, an Audiolab 6000CDT transport, about $700  You will be impressed!! Redbook CD only. The audiolab transport I have mated to it a Benchmark DAC3, which sounds great. A Dac 3 new cost $1699 plus $100 for the remote.   30 day trial period, 5 year warranty, free shipping, Made in upstate NY. When calling and ask for RORY, he will answer any questions you may have, great to deal with. Just my 2 cents. Robert TN

@junge  "How much will be the initial investment in streaming?"

Once you pick a DAC, it doesn't cost a lot to try out streaming. You can get a WiiM for $90 (Mini, optical only output) or $150 (Pro, with optical & coax). Qobuz will cost you $13 a month and includes tons of hi-rez albums.  

Then, if you fall in love with streaming, you can then move on to a more upscale streamer and spend hundreds or thousands for a fancier unit.  If you don't fall in love, you haven't spent very much, and still have a great option to listen to find new artists or listen to new albums to find out which you like before running out to buy the CD.