Do I Need a New DAC?

Do I Need a New DAC?

Newbie here to seek advice on a new DAC with a budget of up to $2K

I am thinking about adding a new my DAC so my stereo setup can play a small collection of SACDs using a 4K DVD player.

Here is my current Stereo setup

CD Player: Emotiva ERC-1 (as a transport)

DVD Player: Sony UBP-X800M2

DAC: Monarchy Audio M33 DAC / pre-amp

Pre-amp: Audio Research SP-6E (I think)

Power-amp: Audio Research VT100 MIII

Speakers: KEF104.2 (re-capped; replaced ferrofluid)

Analog: SOTA Nova V, SME3009 III, Audio Technica AT440MLA cartridge

Interconnectors and speaker cables: DIY Gotham cable    

I have a decent collection of CDs (classical, jazz, and pop) that I listen to occasionally; I have no plan to rip and stream them for any time soon.

All the equipment except the DVD player have been with me for a while.  I am thinking about spending some money in the next several years to upgrade the DAC, the CD player, the pre-amp and the speakers in that order. 

The reason to add a new DAC as the Toslink In on the Monarchy M33 is broken and I cannot connect the Sony DVD player to the DAC (the digital In is currently connected with the CD player); also, I would like to get some updated technology on DAC. 

Based on web research, I am thinking about these DACs: Gustard R26, OKto Research, Soekris DAC2541, Schiit Yggdrasil + (a bit over budget), and Hegel HD30 DAC (used).  I have yet to hear the sound of any of these DACs.  I am OK with either new or used and open to other recommendations.

Shall I add a DAC or shall I forget about the SACDs (about 20 CDs); instead, buy a better CD player or save more money to buy a better pre-amp.  Not going to invest in a dedicated SACD player for now though.

Thank you very much for your time; looking forward to reading your comment.

junge

Hi audiotroy....thank you for your information.  I never attempt to connect the dvd player to the Monarchy DAC.  I am going to do some research on this.  Worst come to worst, I am not going to play the SACDs at all until I can find a way to play them.  In fact, many of the SACDs are unopened and gathering dust on the CD rack for over 10 years.

I would  buy the $900 Topping 90 

and a $1,200 Bluesound streamer/ripper.

You need a DAC that will play the DSD layer of the SACD.  Otherwise all you are listening to is the CD layer.  That requires a DAC that accepts HDMI.  I output the DSD from my Oppo 105 over HDMI into a Bryston DAC 3.

From a cost effective standpoint, you can always get a Sony Universal Player that will play your movies, 20 SACD, Blu Rays, DVDs, etc.  prices range from $300 on up and you can check Crutchfield for the latest.  I think Yamaha also makes a universal player that I haven’t heard.

Get the Gustard R26 — probably one of the highest performance/$ DACs extant today.  Here’s a good review if you haven’t seen it…

https://soundnews.net/sources/dacs/gustard-a26-dac-review-can-it-get-any-better/

Forget bending over backwards to play a few SACDs.  Bite the bullet and start streaming through Qobuz where, for the price of one CD every month, you’ll have access to worlds of new music, much of it in hi-res that’ll make SACD mostly moot. When funds allow buy a used Innuos Zen Mk3 streamer/server that has an onboard CD drive so you can just load all your CDs into it and be done with a transport altogether.  Then you’ll have access to all your music from your chair in any order or playlist you wish along with worlds of new music, which is extremely more exciting than just playing your own music over and over.  Other than a few audiophile recordings that’ll likely never be available to stream, I rarely spin a CD anymore.  At this point, and given all the great music available to stream, spinning a CD now actually seems archaic — like a buggy whip or VCR.  Sorry to be a little preachy here, but just wanted to share my experience and hope it’s at least somewhat helpful.  Best of luck in your journey!

Concerning the Yggdrasil, check out the classified ads over at Head-Fi. I just checked and there are currently several units available used, all for well under $2K.  I also second the motion concerning Qobuz. I started in the music hobby in the late 1960s and Qobuz is the best deal ever for exploring new music as well as listening to your favorites. Hard to compete with a library of 80 million tracks at your fingertips, many in High-Rez.