iFi Zen Stream (No USB output in Roon exclusive mode)

I recently purchased an iFi Zen Steam. The Zen Stream is connected via Audioquest Diamond USB to a Chord Cutest DAC. I was able to set the output to USB (Chord Cutest), but as soon as I turn on the Roon Exclusive mode it automatically switches to the default SPDIF. The GUI can not be accessed while in exclusive mode so I can change to usb output or used the Roon exclusive mode that is suppose to enhance sounds quality. What am I doing wrong? I also tried to change the output in Roon to USB, but it won’t let me. Thank you in advance for any help! Thank you! 

Roon Core is a MacBook Pro with Tidal & Qobuz

Ethernet to switch then splits to MacBook Pro & Zen Stream

rick_hilton

Just FYI, my Pi 4 works great as a USB Roon endpoint with Ubuntu.

Recently upgraded to iFi X 5V supply.

Install Ubuntu core and the Bzlib and then follow directions for automatic setup of Roon. 20 minutes.

@rick_hilton same here…when I go from AIO to Roon setting my DAC and volume drop off. When I switch back to AIO from Roon the DAC and volume were connected again. I have given up and will only use it in AIO mode and set the DAC and volume each time I use the Zen Stream.

@erik_squires Pi 4 sounds intriguing. Might try one that is returnable.  Can you provide more info?  The operating system sounds like an alien language.   What Pi4 memory is needed for roon?  Can you explain the loading software requirements and how to details?  Is the cooling fan noisy?  Thanks

No help for those with IFI but for the same price, I have an allo USBridge signature that is very friendly and sounds great for the price range.  I use Shanti power supply.

Jerry

@tksteingraber Too much for here and too much for me to type, but I’ll explain a little.

• Memory: 2 GB should be sufficient but Roon recommends 4 GB for Linux
  • The cooling fans vary a lot, but you can get cases which are fanless which perform well. The end point doesn’t stress the CPU at all so it stays pretty chill anyway.
  • You flash Ubuntu server on a microSD card. 16 GB is plenty. Look online for those instructions. Stick the card into you Pi and go through the initial installation process.  Then install bzip. Then add the requirements and follow the Easy Installer instructions from Roon.

Make sure you use Ubuntu for Arm64 and get the Roon for Arm64 as well. Intel/AMD binaries won’t work here.

Fanless cases:

https://amzn.to/3ZBeVDe