going from tube preamp to solid state

just toying around with this and it might not even happen.

have a tube preamp now and while i might sell this later on and get another preamp.......have there been members that have had a tube preamp, sold it and went to a solid state preamp and kept it ?          or did you prefer the tube preamp sound and went back to it ?

maybe got a tube preamp that uses different tubes than the previous one did ?     

the preamp i have now, i like the way it sounds, but just not a fan of the 6sn7 and never really have been.   i prefer the 6922, 12au7 / 12ax7 tubes better.   

innersound300

Your question seems to assume that all tube amps sound alike and the same with solid state.  So not only is it important to discuss specific models, but as you pointed out tubes used and different speakers, power amps and personal taste will all muddy the waters.  Purchase an amp that you are interested in with the right to return for full money back, or get a local loaner.

@russ69 

if i was to do a change, i would say less than $5k.

@vonhelmholtz 

i know not all tube or solid state preamps sound the same.....no different than tube and solid state state amps dont sound the same. 

i am just toying with an idea and like i said, it might not even happen.

@innersound300

I fully realize that you know that all xxxx amps don’t sound the same, but how can someone provide you with a useful suggestion without knowing what your system consists of?

Post removed 

@innersound300 

What preamp are you using currently?

BTW..You can post your system under your profile and you can see what others are using under their profile.

I have always listened to tube preamps, so I won’t be of use here but others might have experience with your preamp.

I did recently go through three phono preamps looking for a solid state phono stage that had much of the musicality of a tube preamp and I’m quite happy with where I ended up.  My power amp is solid state.