One of the great things about Vinyl

Is I find myself listening to recordings all the way through.

Rarely do that with CD's and/or streaming.

128x128jjbeason14

I have about 1000 lp's. Some close to virgin, some have lived thru the party wars of the 70's into the mid 80's. I am looking to sell either individually or as a bundle..any advice other than keeping them. We are downsizing and I also own about 3400 cd's and regularly listen to about 40% of those. The lp's are worth more and larger thus they go first.. i dont check this site regularly..any thoughts I would appreciate email to [email protected]

My great fortune is that from the very start I had a record cleaning system. First was the old dishwasher brush with liquid squirt bottle and then an amazing little machine called a Rec O Vac. The Rec O Vac was an upright plastic machine in which you placed your LP. As it spun, the tiny , soft hairs lifted dust out of the grooves to then be vacuumed away. As a result all of my original 70s, 80s etc LPs sound quite good. For the last many years my various iterations of “Record Doctors” ( thank you Audio Advisor) have been maintaining the old vinyl and protecting the new. 

Everything about vinyl is fun.

Browsing them, buying them, looking at them, playing them, it's all fun.  

I know some will say the inconveniences outweigh the positives (or at least cancel them out) which I can appreciate.  Of course there will then be technical criticisms of the medium. I can appreciate those as well.

I think all would agree that handling/playing CDs, and scrolling through endless, homogenized letters on a screen has nothing on handling a beautiful sleeve, hearing the sound of the stylus hit the lead-in groove, and watching that handsome turntable, with it's shiny black disc, put a show on for you in your living room. The romance is rich with the latter; non-existent with the former. 

"Fun of use" is no contest.

In regards to those endless, homogenized letters on a screen I scroll through, I find the homogenization of music this way robs the individual works of their individuality.  Miles Davis may sit between Minutemen and Mickey Newbury...scroll, scroll, ho-hum..it's all the same..."files"...

Obviously they are not remotely the same. Furthermore, each individual album in an artist's catalog has its own identity.  These things are diminished in a digital format, and maximized in the vinyl format.

I want to appreciate the uniqueness of artists and their individual works from their catalog.

Music is very special, meaningful and important to me, not just another utilitarian application, appliance, another "app," another bunch of "files." 

"Had I been streaming I may have not taken the time to listen beyond one or two cuts. "

Does this make any sense?

All things being equal. Why would the fact that the music is streamed have an effect on how many tracks you listen to? 

Is it that playing vinyl or a cd requires you to get up out of your comfy seat to change albums? Whereas, with streaming you can just sit on your duff and jump from song to song.

Next time you stream, pick an album, put your iPad in the next room and then sit down to listen.