Equalization with REL six pack

I am preparing to set up a REL six-pack for the first time. Though I bought the subs used, I am paying a local dealer to set them up. One question I want to have perspective on before setup is this:

I use a Rives PARC attenuation-only equalizer that is indispensable to tame room bumps in the 40-80 hz range. (yes I know room treatments are more deal but let's put that aside please)

When I set up the six-pack, my thinking is that I should put the subs in place, stacked approximately where they are supposed to be just outside and slightly back from the mains, and with the subs unplugged, get the mains to sound the way I like with equalization. Then go through the whole six-pack setup. This makes more sense to me than bypassing equalization during setup and equalizing after the six-pack setup, since subs have separate volume control and can be set accordingly. I suppose I may do slight attentuation adjustments afterward as well. 

The alternative of bypassing equalization until after six-pack setup seems less appealing because much of the six-pack "by ear" setup could be thrown way off by adding significant attenuation after the fact.

Thoughts? I am not mentioning system components because I don't think it matters, but if anyone disagrees I am happy to give a rundown. My mains are Verity Parsifal Encores, flat to around 28hz.

Thanks

montaldo

PS - It’s not either / or with EQ and room treatments. EQs alone are a huge improvement over nothing for subs.

Room treatments can smooth out room modes which means a couple of things:

• EQ’able nulls!
  • More even bass response no matter where you sit.

So if you just want to EQ, that’s great, big improvements. Clip the peaks, raise your sub level and you have at least 1 good bass spot but for many who are attempting to plumb the depths, bass traps can be really important.

Thanks Erik! I put room treatment aside only to avoid people telling me I shouldn't be doing equalization etc etc. I definitely understand it's best to treat as far as you can and then maybe equalize what's left, if needed. I do have a couple of bass traps but haven't gotten serious about it.

On the subject of the mains, I will be running them full range with high level outputs coming from the amplifiers to the rel subs. So I won't be actively managing the roll off of the mains. The potential overlap within the lower and mid bass regions is what I just don't quite grasp about the six-pack setup. I can't understand why it doesn't just become a mess! I am confident there is a good answer to this but I just want to know what it is.

Properly integrating multiple  subwoofers into your stereo system is one of the most powerful ways to increase impact with precision. Integrating six subwoofers would certainly be an interesting application for the new miniDSP Flex Eight.

We have a few videos that will give you some ideas, we suggest you look first at The Best Ways to Integrate Multiple Subwoofers.  This applies to the Flex Eight which can independently control; frequency response, level, crossovers and delay of up to eight subwoofers. 

FYI: My Infinity woofer towers sounded best when they were inside my main speakers. YMMV.