Why do we stop listening to new music as we get older?

Hello all,

Sometimes I find myself wondering why there is so little newer music in my library. Now, before you start in with rants about "New music is terrible!", I found this rather interesting article on the topic. (SFW)

With the maturing of streaming as a music delivery platform, and the ease of being able to surf new artists and music, it might be time to break my old listening habits and find some newer artists.

Happy listening. 

128x128musicfan2349

I'm way too comfortable with my old blues music and don't do much exploring of new music, only occasionally.New arrangements of old music is interesting though.

I can’t agree with this at all!

I’m older and I still like looking for and listening to new and new to me music. Heck, that’s the main reason I bought a streamer.

I am constantly finding new music. I occasionally play an album from my collection. 

The amount of new music has escalated exponentially since my streaming / digital side sounds as good as my vinyl.

I agree that most people here listen to the same old genre of music. Some people are stuck in Heavy Metal, which I don’t get, or the Stones..etc.. which I don’t get. When I was born, TV sets were 9-12” and only one person in the neighborhood had one. I like a lot of new music, but when I post about it, few respond and those that do like music from the sixties..etc. So, I agree that most people are set in their listening preferences and in my opinion, that is their loss.

I have been listening to a lot of Korean music and some of it is great. The videos are amazing due to some extraordinary choreography and insane dance skills. I like singles artist, most recently BiBi, who’s song “Weekend” was the highest Korean solo artist release in the US. BiBi is fluent in English and some of her songs are in English, but even the Korean songs have English refrains.. IU, is not only drop dead gorgeous and has a lot of great music, but some of it is just too girlie for me. Her backstory is amazing and her persistence can teach any of us lessons. A newer up and coming group is Txt (Tomorrow x Together) and they have some nice stuff, but in the US people only know BTS and they aren’t even together. Billie Eilish is another pretty impressive performer. Her most recent album, Happiness is very good…just ask Juan @blisshifi .. sorry for outing you Juan. I like “Sour” an album by Olivia Rodrigo. I have Eilish and Rodrigo on record. Lots of modern country is trash, but some of it is just great..an example might be some music by Morgan Wallen. I don’t know what genre it is but “Human” by Rag’n Bone Man is pretty impactful. Some of the editor’s choice on Quboz are really good. Indila is a French singer and worth a listen. Try her album “Indila”. Old genre, but newer artist, try Japanese jazz pianist Yuko Mabuchi.. some great 45rpm record sets.. Lots of different sounds out there. None of these artist produce music that is stellar across their musical careers, some like Wallen produce so much music that something is bound to be good. All of it is worth a listen and no, a few songs chosen at random don’t necessarily represent what any of these artist bring to us. Some have many different styles. Take a look at the marathon threads regarding what people are playing tonight and see the same old “me too” stuff over and over, but hidden there are some great new artists/music.

Wow this has been a delightful conversation! Lot of interesting comments and suggestions for new music. Thank you!

I gave it some thought and started wondering what defines "new music" in the context of this conversation? Is it chronologically new or new to the listener? For instance, while I really enjoy "Boomer rock" the past couple of years I've discovered bee-bop. So I've been worshipping at the church of St. Miles, Art Blakey, John Coltrane, etc. 

So maybe I'm not stuck in the "past" as I'm listening to "new to me" music? 😉

Happy listening.