The new Borresen M1's...a new direction?

The new stand mount speaker from Borresen, called the M1’s, look very interesting. They are utilizing a 4.5" mid/bass driver and a ribbon tweeter. The bass response is stated to go down to 40hz, which for a 4.5" driver is impressive.

The technology employed in the speaker is also somewhat novel, yet it also comes at a cost.

That cost is $100K. or in Europe 94K Eu.

Question is, how many other speaker designers will be producing a stand mount two way with a 4.5" bass/mid driver and now contemplating a price point in the $100-$200K range?

Another question, how many of these M1’s would be expected to sell? And to whom?

128x128daveyf

Ok got the enclosure. What’s it made of? Gold?

Got the drivers. Anything special? Sure as hell better be. 

Got the crossover. Hmm 

is it worth 100k? Come on people! That’s a luxury car or a half a mid size house. Get real! 

Well, if I had that kind of cash maybe.... I'm just getting my pair of Borresen Z3 Cryos dialed in and I have to say.... wow. Driven to silky perfection by an Accuphase E-5000, it's a pretty magical combination. 

On one hand it's neat to see speaker like this push the boundaries.

On the other hand, they p*ss me off because we get in to the realm of stunt pricing, and high end audio is becoming ever more driven by "ok, now that the other company has priced their speaker at some extreme price, we'll have to price our stuff like that or it won't be taken as seriously."

Some of this stuff is beyond nuts.