Please help with setting up a streaming system

Hi guys and gals,

I would like to start streaming some high res and cd quality music. I am very computer illiterate so please take it easy on me. I would like to set something up fairly easy to use and not spend more than 2k. I currently have an older PS Audio PWD 2  with just the bridge card and the PWT memory player going to PrimaLuna mono blocks and pre amp. I would like to use my dac if it is still a viable solution because I really like the sound when the recording is decent. Can someone please offer some direction and experience with where to start?

Thanks in advance for any advice and suggestions!

justinm

You are in a very good position to start. You want a dedicated streamer.

Streamers are like every component in audio… you want the best and compatible piece you can afford. I recommend an Aurender Streamer (Linn streamers are great as well)… I would think you can get a used N100 within your budget.

You can get a Bluesound for much less… but, for me, tiptoeing in is a great way to spend a lot more money. I would spend as much as you can on an high quality dedicated streamer and you will be really impressed.

My streamer sounds as good as my high end vinyl rig. You can see it under my UserID. You do not want to fool around with PCs or MACs. Dedicated streamers have huge advantages over them.

It is likely you will get something with internal storage so you can transfer some of your ripped CDs, or purchased files. But they are there for legacy reasons. I haven’t played any stored files for over a year. Streaming is so good with a good streamer you will have no need for CDs. Qobuz is the service you want… $12.99 / month if you pay for a year. Half a million high resolution albums. Millions of CD quality albums. Your library becomes virtually infinite.

If you do not have a router near your system, then no problem, buy a $59 wifi extender, plug it in and connect your streamer to it. You do not have to plsy with your network… the better the streamer…. It makes up for deficiencies in your network. The Aurrender cashes the music. I have two and they work when my IPad will not refresh the page.

Get a Paradigm Link or Martin Logan Unison, it does everything you want PLUS will add ARC room correction to your system.

Innuos just came out with their Pulse Mini that comes in at $1249 and would be a great choice.  Their new Sense software is free and gets great reviews from both a performance a sound perspective, and they’re constantly improving it for free.  Plus, their customer support is excellent.  Just my $0.02 FWIW.